Music in stereo - possible to change to 3.0 or 5.1 surround?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

samstuder

Music in stereo - possible to change to 3.0 or 5.1 surround?

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 3:35 am

Hello again -

I'm finalizing my short film and showing it in a theater very soon. On my timeline, everything is in mono except for the music, which is in 2.0 stereo (it was recorded in Garageband, standard stereo). I like the effect that the "Stereo Width" effect has, as it creates a pocket of space for dialogue, sfx, etc. to come through. But from what I've heard, standard stereo music does not sound good in a 5.1 equipped theater because it end up only being the L and R speaker with no Center (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I'm wondering what I could do to the file/track/project to give it the spread that I'm desiring, or if that's something that would have to be done in the previous stage in Garageband or another music software, and I should cut my losses and do the music in mono as well.

This feels like a long shot but I figured it's worth asking.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Music in stereo - possible to change to 3.0 or 5.1 surro

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 5:32 am

If it is no longer possible to revisit the mix and deliver a dedicated surround mix, one option is to upmix the music cues. Nugen Halo and Penteo are two options.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Music in stereo - possible to change to 3.0 or 5.1 surro

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 pm

samstuder wrote:from what I've heard, standard stereo music does not sound good in a 5.1 equipped theater because it end up only being the L and R speaker with no Center (correct me if I'm wrong).

I should cut my losses and do the music in mono as well.

No and absolutely not. The majority of indie short films screened at festivals are in Stereo and they generally sound just fine (aside from the low budget sound design and mix that most of them have).

If you don't have a proper way of monitoring a 5.1 mix at your place, you shouldn't mess with what you were provided with by your sound designer.

Having said that, you could get yourself something like this plugin, but I honestly would advise against it for a short film, especially if you have no way to accurately monitor the results:

https://www.waves.com/plugins/um225-um2 ... kIQAvD_BwE
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Return to Post Production