Am I exporting my DCP correctly?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

samstuder

Am I exporting my DCP correctly?

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm

This is my first time trying to export a DCP...I'm taking the advice on DCP-o-matic and reformatting my external harddrive to NFTS, which should work in most theaters (I'm double checking with theater, and I can't seem to find the Windows equivalent to Cinematiq that will convert a USB to ext2)

What I'm wondering is, have I set up my project correctly to export a usable DCP?

I have been told that I'm supposed to export the video and audio files separately, and reintroduce those into a new project, which you then export as a DCP. I didn't do that this time around, but if I should do that, what format should the video and audio files look like? (The frustrating thing is that every How To video shows the process with a single video and audio clip, rather than demonstrating what to do with a complex timeline, and there's no mention of the ideal format for these single video and audio clips)

This time, I simply tried exporting a DCP with these parameters (last two images) and I ended up with this in a folder (first image)

Can I take these two MXF files and create a DCP? If so, should I do that on Davinci, or would it be better to use DCP-o-matic? (have not tried before but I have the software downloaded)

EDIT: seeing some information now I should have clicked the Interop box (for 24 fps) and reduced bit rate to 200. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-24 110252.png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 110252.png (84.22 KiB) Viewed 432 times
IMG_7094-min.jpg
IMG_7094-min.jpg (437.33 KiB) Viewed 464 times
IMG_7093-min.jpg
IMG_7093-min.jpg (144.58 KiB) Viewed 464 times

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Am I exporting my DCP correctly?

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

That top image folder IS your dcp. You have to supply the theatre with that folder, and it's contents.
One mxf is the video, the other is the audio.

Open a 24 fps project and maneuver your media in tool to that location. You should be able to import that dcp back into Resolve to check it.

Return to Post Production