Market Saturation for Colorists

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ryan Nguyen

Market Saturation for Colorists

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey folks,

I'm looking for future projections and opinions about colorists. I know much of it has to do with where you are, but can it be safely assumed that as it becomes more available, prosumers that begin to shoot with log profiles and raw data will be bring about a spike in interest for professional colorists?

For those who are already established colorists, what kind of clients do you find yourself working with the most? How is the market today for us?

I'm currently studying the craft (2 years) and am being discouraged from many people who worry that color is a very esoteric career choice.

Thanks!

Radman

Re: Market Saturation for Colorists

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Interesting post.
I hope there will be more views on this subject.
Radman.

are_luke

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Just remember coloring is whatever you make it

Christine Peterson

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Moving this thread to Post Production. Interesting topic... it might get more conversation here.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Paul Provost

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 pm

i hope this doesn't turn into another "demise of the post industry" threads...
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Warren Eagles

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:22 am

I am seeing lots of change....Big traditional post houses having to scale down, smaller grading shops opening, DPs grading their own material and editors putting Editor/Colorist on their biz cards.
The good thing is more TV shows, TVCs, and short films than ever before are getting color corrected with grading software, not just the FCP 3 way.
Staff jobs have all but disappeared as we move to a more freelance environment.
Rates are coming down as some producers want to try cheaper solutions that they never had before.
The top 25% will stay the same. Top Directors want to work with the top graders/Editors/VFX people and don't need to save $$$.

I have recently had to fix 2 jobs where an Editor/Colorist got out of their depth....great looks but just didn't match.

Been in it 25 years and still having fun

Warren
Warren Eagles
International Colorist Academy
www.icolorist.com
@warreneagles
www.vimeo.com/icolorist

Ola Haldor Voll

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm

All though I haven't been in the color grading game for more than 6-7 years, I've seen a few things change.

Tons more is shot on cheaper equipment, such as DSLR and what not, with DPs that are either less skilled in general, or less skilled with compressed media. My job has changed slightly from making a look or balancing a shot to telling people what went wrong during the shoot, and how to take note of this for future projects. Many tend to create the look in-camera, which spells trouble for us in post.

I also see less enthusiasm among past clients and DPs, because they can do it all themselves on their high end MacBook, which has a stunningly good monitor. :roll: That's where smart words, cool Keynotes and selling yourself come to play.

I see increased interest among documentary producers, and less from those who own their own RED.

I usually take on jobs from all over the country, but it's no secret I should move to the capitol to fill up my schedule with more jobs.

Among all things I've tried in my 10 years of video production, color is the one thing that is still keeping me hooked and looking for more to learn and to do.

diego

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:57 am

Hey Ryan,

where about are you studing?, i been looking around and havent found much...

Return to Post Production