ATEM 1 M/E Prod Switcher

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
MarkWelch

ATEM 1 M/E Prod Switcher

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm attempting to quickly give a client a ballpark quote on a new system.
They need to feed four SD cameras with composite outputs to a switcher such as the ATEM 1. Probably a good choice for future proofing - my guess. The output is intended for live streaming. I am assuming this is no problem so far. We will be using a PC for the time being and no control surface just yet.

My question is, What kind of file needs to go out to the server that will be streaming the program. Also, is this signal to be streamed coming from the ethernet port on the ATEM? Or do we have to go through further conversion out to the computer?

Also, they want to bring in Skype A/V feeds into the program as we are switching live. Is it possible to somehow bring Skype into the switcher?

What am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

joshmsmith

Re: ATEM 1 M/E Prod Switcher

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 4:18 pm

The ATEM switchers don't actually support streaming straight out of the switcher. However, you can connect it to any of the Blackmagic capture devices that support SDI or HDMI, and they are almost universally supported on live streaming software.

Alexis Vanier

Re: ATEM 1 M/E Prod Switcher

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Hey,

Just like Mr. Smith wrote you can't stream straight out of a 1 M/E without some kind of capture solution. A BMD capture card is a great and cheap solution combined with some streaming software. Output your PGM into your capture card and stream away.

Also, (credits to Liam Kennedy for pointing this out) MX Light seems to allow you to do it with a BMD H.264 Pro Encoder or an ATEM Television Studio.

As for Skype feeds, you'd probably need an extra computer outputting fullscreen to HDMI straight into your switcher frame or into something akin to a BMD DVI Extender into an SDI input. Do test aplenty as it has been said changes from firmware version to firmware version introduce slightly different behaviors in the HDMI input on ATEM switchers.

As for the SD aspect of your show, do check what cameras you're dealing with. Few SD cameras are actually SDI based so you'll probably need something like a BMD Analogue to SDI mini converter.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I've seen the practice do wonders to RedUser.net. Having people identify themselves with their full names is a great courtesy forumgoers can do to each other. You're halfway there, but I'm sure you'd make a few people a little more comfortalbe if you went all the way. ;)

Change your username by clicking here!
Alexis Vanier.

Return to Post Production