Can't hear audio playback

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jim Bachalo

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Even though my audio is successfully imported, and I can see the VU meters dancing, I can't hear any audio when playing clips either in media pool or edit timeline.

What am I missing?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can't hear audio playback

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Audio output is via the video/audio card you selected in preferences or you can select to use the computer audio. This is assuming you don't have the mute enabled.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robert Cambrinus

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 11:35 am

Hi,

I have not been able to act on the suggested answer. Neither in daVinci Resolve's preferences nor in the projects' preferences do I find the mentioned selection for video/audio cards.

In daVinci Resolve preferences my Video I/O and GPU option is automatically set to "none" for capture and playback use. I work from an HP ZBook with Dreamcolor display without external monitor and use the laptop's built-in speakers. The BMPCC raw files are imported via SDXC cards.

I have not found any selection option to use the computer audio. As in the other post, audio is recognised via the VU meter but not audible. Muting is not enabled.

Delivered as QT files the audio is audible again (in other programmes).

Where do I find the option to use the computer audio?

Thanks,
Robert

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:30 am

Are you using Resolve 10.1.5?
There is a checkbox in the preferences to select to use the system audio.. if you can't see the checkbox my guess is you are on an older version of Resolve.

Robert Cambrinus

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 9:39 am

I'm using Resolve 10.1.5

In the project settings is the audio menu. This only contains a checkbox to enable audio (and the audio meter alignment level setting). Of course I have enabled audio. There are no other options (like deckcard, system or computer).

Whereas in the daVinci Resolve preferences there is no audio menu option.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 am

I'm sorry Rosto, I've been looking at the v11 beta which is due out this month. It includes the checkbox I mentioned. It's not in v10, my mistake. Until we release the audio out is only available on the BMD I/O card if you have the card installed.
However, re-reading your earlier post, it looks like you don't have a BMD I/O card installed. Can you confirm?
Do you have a ProRes clip with audio that you can try rather than the DNG?

Peter

Robert Cambrinus

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 pm

That's correct, I have no BMD I/O card installed as I use no external video I/O hardware.

I have now un- and reinstalled Resolve Lite 10 and stayed with the system settings. The audio is recognised by Resolve (VU meter) but is still not audible. This is true for imbedded audio in DNG and ProRes files (from the BMPCC) as well as wav files (48kHz/24bit).

What else could I try?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 am

The good news is you can now download and try v11 to see if that's made a difference on your hardware. It's on our support site.

Robert Cambrinus

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 pm

I uninstalled Resolve 10 and installed 11. Resolve 11 looks great but it doesn't sound... The same problem still persists (VU meter recognises audio but sound is not audible). Of course I have ticked the "Use system audio" option in the preferences.

Since Resolve is the only software on my ZBook that has this problem it is probably safe to assume that the problem lies within the way Resolve processes audio (or is pre-set) on systems without Video I/O. I planned to use the new editing features on Resolve 11 but without audio...

It seems such a basic issue and is all the more frustrating for that.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 3:27 am

Interesting, can you tell me the exact model details of your laptop? I'm not familiar with a zbook?

Robert Cambrinus

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 am

I had the HP ZBook 17 configured with:

Windows 7 PRO 64
Intel Core i7-4700MQ Quad Core 2.5GHz
16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3L 2DM (2x8GB)
Nvidia Quadro K3100M 4GB (Haswell)
10bit DreamColour Display, 17.3in. 1920x1080
SSD 128GB + 750GB HDD 7200rpm
DTS Studio Sound HD audio

I tried to check if there are options in the BIOS that might make a difference but haven't found anything.

Robert Cambrinus

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 pm

I also noticed that all video and audio files play back fine when imported to Blackmagic Media Express.
The problem seems to be confined to Resolve.

Robert Cambrinus

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Is there anything in the above mentioned configuration that might be problematic for Resolve? The system audio uses the latest driver for the IDT HiDef audio codec. NVIDIA HDMI output is not connected.

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 2:46 pm

I am going to bump this topic to see if anyone has come up with an answer. I am encountering the same issue editing footage on Davinci 11. I can see the audio tracks, see the audio scopes showing the sound but cannot figure out how to enable it through my computer speakers. I have a 2013 Imac, that I run an external pci chassis with thunderbolt allowing me to color grade RGB (through a Decklink Extreme and HD Link Pro 3D) on a Dreamcolor monitor.

My issue is that if I activate the Decklink in the preferences to route my video signal it seems to limit me to routing my sound only through the I/O card and no longer able to use the imac's internal spekers. If I disable the card I am able to get sound fine.

Am I missing something? I really need to hear the sound if I am going to be using Davinci's edtiing features but don't want to add a separate sound system for reference sound...the internal speakers of the imac would be fine.

I have enabled audio in the preferences by the way
Any help would be appreciated
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Patrick Finnegan wrote:I am going to bump this topic to see if anyone has come up with an answer. I am encountering the same issue editing footage on Davinci 11. I can see the audio tracks, see the audio scopes showing the sound but cannot figure out how to enable it through my computer speakers. I have a 2013 Imac, that I run an external pci chassis with thunderbolt allowing me to color grade RGB (through a Decklink Extreme and HD Link Pro 3D) on a Dreamcolor monitor.

My issue is that if I activate the Decklink in the preferences to route my video signal it seems to limit me to routing my sound only through the I/O card and no longer able to use the imac's internal spekers. If I disable the card I am able to get sound fine.

Am I missing something? I really need to hear the sound if I am going to be using Davinci's edtiing features but don't want to add a separate sound system for reference sound...the internal speakers of the imac would be fine.

I have enabled audio in the preferences by the way
Any help would be appreciated

In Preferences, you will see an option to play the audio through the system audio device (even when Decklink I/O is enabled). It's not enabled by default.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Patrick Finnegan

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Thank you
that solved it!
I missed that little check box when setting up preferences
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Gabriele Dimola

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 10:18 am

hi there i have the same problem too
no audio playback even though use sysem audio is checked an enable audio too..
i use sounstick bluetooh speakers..they works perfectly with premiere...
helppppppp

SteveCookCine

PostThu May 28, 2015 10:04 pm

I am having the same issue, I have a set of external speakers plugged in tot he lap top HP ENVY 17".
Levels are appearing on the VU meter but I can hear anything, no levels in the windows audio control panel either.

Hazem Abdulrab

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Hello ,

Please anyone i need help with this. Its very frustrating I love this new resolve 12 but there is no audio playback. I can see the audio play in the vu meters as well . Yes I do have "enable audio" checked on in the project settings and yes I do have " use system audio output" enabled in preferences video i/o and gpu . I don't know what else to do . I have tried installing and reinstalling davinci resolve 12 and still the same issue.

p.s: I did have an error when i tried installing postgresql which is one of the required software. COuld that be the issue?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 1:27 am

Someone replied and said

"I use Davinci Resolve on a HP ZBook 15 and I had the same issue. I unistalled IDT audio and now the sound plays back fine... hope it helps someone."

Hazem Abdulrab

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Someone replied and said

"I use Davinci Resolve on a HP ZBook 15 and I had the same issue. I unistalled IDT audio and now the sound plays back fine... hope it helps someone."

your my hero. That fixed it.

Andy Bonnor

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 10:16 am

Solved. Cant hear audio. Asus ROG laptop, W10. After re-organizing my installation file, Resolve12 would not play back audio, even tho I could see the wave form and VU meter. After days of digging, and re-installing Quick Time (using Orca to drop the launch condition
), I finally un-installed R12 and re-installed. This was the solution! All projects were intact, and im good to go again. My fear was that id lose my projects, so I backed them up 1st. Didnt need to, R12 booted staight back up where I left off..(Im using HD .mov/mp4 files) Hope this helps.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 am

There was an update to Win 10 ages ago that allows you to install the latest versions of Quicktime into Windows 10, so no need for that video tutorial. I install it on clean Win 10 systems every day with no issues. Just make sure your win 10 is up to date and download QT from the Quicktime website and install
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

GlennG

PostThu May 31, 2018 12:15 am

For me the problem was the camera I used. Davinci Resolve isn't fond of AVCHD. You can convert your files with EaseFab Video Converter. Problem solved.

tobesch

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

What fixed this issue for me in Resolve 16 is to set the system audio to the same bitrate as the video audio:
1. go to Windows --> Sound Settings
2. select your output device, e.g. "Speakers / Headphones" and click on "Device properties"
3. under Related Settings, click on "Additional device properties"
4. under the "Advanced" tab select the sample rate and bit depth, e.g. 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

I found this solution on YouTube: "../watch?v=GOTd5uPC2kA"

Return to Post Production