Resolve quits abruptly on MBP

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

andecom3

Resolve quits abruptly on MBP

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Been working with Resolve 8.1.1 Lite when this issue arose. Had done around
20 jobs when the app started completely quitting when selecting drive/file in Media storage
on browser page. I go to open drive and select file and the app completely and utterly
vanishes...poof!!! The project I had just completed was a FCP7 roundtrip. I did have a little bit
of trouble getting the xml loaded but it finally did load and after color correcting, I successfully completed the roundtrip.

Went to open new project and the app (Resolve 8.1.1 lite) just quit every time I tried to open drive or
file in Media Storage window on Browser page.

I thought if I installed the full version of Resolve 8 ( which I was waiting to do after my last project)
would take care of the issue. Maybe the lite version has a time limit or something.

Well, unhappy to say it does the exact same thing with the full version.

My MBP is late 2011 model with the 2.5 GHz i7 core with 8 gb ram and highest available graphics card for MBP. The AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1024 MB. I am also running a LaCie 1tb thunderbolt drive with a loop out to a Studio 3D.

All was fine until about 5 days ago.

From everything I have read in the DaVinci Resolve Guide for version 8 :

"Resolve 8.0 runs on Mac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro computers. OpenCL graphics support was introduced with Resolve 8.0 to allow the 2011 models of iMac and MacBook Pro computers to be used as they contain AMD/ATI GPUs."

I take it that my MBP would be well within the realm of running this app.
The program was working well and now it has been rendered useless. What gives Blackmagic?

Anyone have an idea?
Last edited by Kristian Lam on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Post Production

Eric Santiago

Re: Resolve quits abruptly on MBP

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Isnt the lite version updated to 8.2.2?

Francois Driessen

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm

I just had the exact same thing happen with ResolveL 9b3... If you come up with a solution please shout?
MacPro 6.1 8Core. 32Gig. D700
21TB Areca TB2 Raid5. UltraStudio Mini

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 am

It sounds like an OS or driver auto update has caused this. You should consider moving to Mountain Lion if you have not.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

michaelromano

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 am

Try CUDA driver update in system prefs. I had a instant crash just as you log in that CUDA update fixed.

Return to Post Production