monitor audio during capture in Media Express?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mark Fassett

monitor audio during capture in Media Express?

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Any way to monitor audio during capture via media express without having to hook up my intensity shuttle to speakers? You'd think there would be a way to monitor the audio through the software during capture... or am I missing it? I did read the fine manual... didn't see it there. Thanks!

Adam Simmons

Re: monitor audio during capture in Media Express?

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 5:47 am

Nope, when capturing through Media express the audio is always passed out through the shuttle. You could feed a cable from the Shuttles output to the line in on your computer
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Brent Wohlberg

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Why is this not possible to monitor Audio while capturing Video..?
This seems Crazy to me..

Is there a way to do it now?

Brent

Oresztesz Nemes

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 am

I have found a workaround, but it is not in sync.
Start Quicktime player, click File/New Audio Recording.
On the recording window next to the big red recording dot there is a down arrow - click it.
Choose Blackmagic Audio, and ramp up the volume.

It is strange why there is a need for such a detour, Blackmagic could solve it probably easily.
And this can be very useful to hear whats going on on set, for example when you are too far away, but need to take notes of useful parts in a long interview.

Then again, they should fix much bigger issues: the only stable version of Desktop Video was 10.3.7, but since the new OSX update the control panel settings wont show up anymore.
Had to install 10.8.6, crashed on me 3 times during a 2 hour long presentation in FCP X with Ultrastudio Express.
Now I`m always nervous when it will crash, when using it with clients.
Ultrastudio Express, Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Colin Barrett

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am

Mark Fassett wrote:Any way to monitor audio during capture via media express without having to hook up my intensity shuttle to speakers? You'd think there would be a way to monitor the audio through the software during capture... or am I missing it? I did read the fine manual... didn't see it there. Thanks!

When you say "monitor the audio through the software during capture" what are you attempting to do exactly? I have a Shuttle which - until I acquired more complex and expensive BM capture hardware - was used day-in and day-out for a couple of years. The audio was monitored via a pair of powered audio speakers, and this gave me monitoring in sync when recording and playing back. How else will you monitor audio if you don't connect speakers etc to the Shuttle's line audio outputs?
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Dan Olson

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:
Mark Fassett wrote:Any way to monitor audio during capture via media express without having to hook up my intensity shuttle to speakers? You'd think there would be a way to monitor the audio through the software during capture... or am I missing it? I did read the fine manual... didn't see it there. Thanks!

When you say "monitor the audio through the software during capture" what are you attempting to do exactly? I have a Shuttle which - until I acquired more complex and expensive BM capture hardware - was used day-in and day-out for a couple of years. The audio was monitored via a pair of powered audio speakers, and this gave me monitoring in sync when recording and playing back. How else will you monitor audio if you don't connect speakers etc to the Shuttle's line audio outputs?

That's the point of the question: Media Express doesn't send the audio from the inputs to the desktop audio driver, preventing a single-system solution. Doesn't matter if you use headphones or speakers, you now have two distinct audio streams that need to be managed: Intensity monitor and Everything Else your Computer Is Doing. In a dedicated studio space that's already managing multiple audio inputs into a single speaker system this is a null problem, just feed the audio-out from the card up to the board, but for more compact setups it's a pain in the ass that requires a hardware solution or really janky software workarounds.
MacOS 10.15.5, MacPro 3.5GHz, Radeon Pro W5700X, 32GB DDR4

Massimiliano Celindano

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 am

In Windows you can check the option "Listen to this device" under Sound/Recording/Line In (Blackmagic Audio)

galacticboy2009

PostThu May 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Massimiliano Celindano wrote:In Windows you can check the option "Listen to this device" under Sound/Recording/Line In (Blackmagic Audio)

You sir, are truly the real MVP of this thread. Great workaround that works for everyone.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:02 pm

My pleasure, Alex. Cheers!

Nomura Ricardo

PostFri May 31, 2019 12:31 am

Massimiliano Celindano wrote:In Windows you can check the option "Listen to this device" under Sound/Recording/Line In (Blackmagic Audio)

This is what I do in Windows!
But how about Linux? Is there any solution?

In Windows the device is detected as audio and video, in linux is detected on as a video device only.

The_Vista_Group

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 1:32 am

For Mac users: there is a paid application called Loopback by Rogue Amoeba that can "loop back" the audio output of Media Express into your built-in output. $99 if it's worth it to you.

Here's the workflow I use:

• Set your Source to your Blackmagic device
  • Set your Monitors to built-in output
Voila! This might be configurable for free in the Audio MIDI Setup app that's already on your Mac. Good luck!

Nomura Ricardo

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Over Linux, you can use Shotcut.
Attachments
blackmagic.png
Shotcut Linux
blackmagic.png (340.03 KiB) Viewed 11091 times

Neil-G

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm

I cannot find the option to listen to the Blackmagic line input in Windows 10. Please could you describe or post a picture of where I might find it.

Return to Post Production