Do I need professional monitoring?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Pedro Oliveira

Do I need professional monitoring?

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 4:45 am

Hi folks.

I have some work to do with Resolve. And I have a consumer monitor and the onboard video out.

Is it worthy to buy a DeckLink Mini Monitor without a broadcast monitor?
I cant buy a monitor like this now, so I would buy a good consumer LED TV (not PC monitor) and output the HDMI signal from Mini Monitor to this.
Would it have any difference that if I connected the TV directly to PC?

I heard people say that if well calibrated, the TV model I'm looking at is very good.
The point is that I dont have a calibrator too, so I would depend on the factory calibration.

Thanks a lot.

Frank Glencairn

Re: Do I need professional monitoring?

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 am

Onboard video out doesn't work with Resolve at all, so yes you absolutely need a BM I/O solution.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Chris Kenny

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:26 pm

PedroBR wrote:Would it have any difference that if I connected the TV directly to PC?

Resolve is really designed to be used with a I/O interface. There's no way to get simultaneous full-screen display of your image and the GUI without one, for instance. So, yes, it's worth getting a DeckLink even without a broadcast monitor.

PedroBR wrote:The point is that I dont have a calibrator too, so I would depend on the factory calibration.

Be careful with this. Better computer monitors (though not high-end wide gamut models, which are more complicated) tend to have color that's at least in the ballpark out of the box, but consumer TVs are often totally nuts. If you have no access to proper calibration gear and aren't sure about your current computer monitor, you might want to at least, say, borrow a Retina MacBook Pro to compare the TV against, just as a basic sanity check.
DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve
http://nicedissolve.com

Pedro Oliveira

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:01 am

Ok, Chris Kenny and Frank Glencairn.
Thank you.

Now: I heard (really, dont judge me) that the only reference monitors that can pair with the old CRT monitors are the plasma ones and more recently the OLEDs. Nor LCD neither LED is as good as CRT, because light uniformity etc.

The good news is: I have a big fat 29" here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , with component input, and was thinking if can I grade in this.

I would plug the TV in the DeckLink Mini Monitor with this:

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 4:42 pm

PedroBR wrote:Ok, Chris Kenny and Frank Glencairn.
Thank you.

Now: I heard (really, dont judge me) that the only reference monitors that can pair with the old CRT monitors are the plasma ones and more recently the OLEDs. Nor LCD neither LED is as good as CRT, because light uniformity etc.

The good news is: I have a big fat 29" here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , with component input, and was thinking if can I grade in this.

I would plug the TV in the DeckLink Mini Monitor with this:

Matching the CRT can somewhat be irrelevant: there are no CRT around anymore..

So, The masses have LED/LCD (about 85-90%?) then that should be one of your viewing environment (or at least a control monitor)

I like when possible to have a big LCD (55/60) for impact and to verify and a small OLED (19-22) for color reference... (IMHO)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to Post Production