imac with no thunderbolt

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

icp

imac with no thunderbolt

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a 10-bit monitoring solution for color correction. I have a late 2009 imac (no thunderbolt, no usb 3.0, just mini displayport). I was thinking about this workflow with blackmagic products:

1) MIni DP to DVI.
2) DVI Extender (to SDI)
3) HD Link Pro (to the monitor via HDMI or DP)

Will this work? I don't know if this is a 10-bit workflow. The first conversion via DVI it's probably 8-bit (since DVI is 8-bit by default).

Thanks.

Ivan

icp

Re: imac with no thunderbolt

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 9:28 am

I didn't thought about this one:

1) Mini DP to HDMI (it should be 10-bit).
2) Blackmagic HDMI to SDI
3) HD Link Pro (to the monitor via HDMI or DP)

What do you think? I'll be using this with a Dell u2410.

Russ Blaise

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 10:17 pm

If you are looking to get a broadcast quality signal, I don't think you will get it using the the products you listed. Also I believe the Dell u2410 is a computer monitor. I think you need a broadcast monitor to get accurate color. I know people are doing that with the newer iMacs going through thunderbolt. But it looks like you don't have thunderbolt. Maybe there is another solution for you.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - Resolve Studio.

icp

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:20 pm

The HD Link Pro is supposed to convert a computer monitor into a broadcast monitor. I know it's better to have a real broadcast monitor in the end of the chain. The dell is listed as a 10-bit panel, so it's better than nothing :)

The problem here is that I don't have a thunderbolt port.

I can get the old Matrox MXO and connect it via a DVI cable, but I'm on a 8-bit solution and it's and old product. I just want a broadcast signal that I can trust with some accuracy, for a low-budget documentary i'll be grading and I'll like to work with Davinci resolve (that's why I'll like a Blackmagic product).

Russ Blaise

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Okay, so if the HD Link Pro does give you a broadcast signal, then you might be good. What are you using to calibrate your monitor? I've been using the i1Display Pro by z-rite. It work very well.

Have you been to the CreativeCow forum yet? They have a DaVinci Resolve forum there:

http://forums.creativecow.net/davinci
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - Resolve Studio.

icp

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 am

iruss wrote:Okay, so if the HD Link Pro does give you a broadcast signal, then you might be good. What are you using to calibrate your monitor? I've been using the i1Display Pro by z-rite. It work very well.

I use the same calibrator. It works well.

iruss wrote:Have you been to the CreativeCow forum yet? They have a DaVinci Resolve forum there:
http://forums.creativecow.net/davinci

I'm gonna try on this forum, thanks!

Return to Post Production