Resolve Hangs!

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

David Scott

Resolve Hangs!

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi guys
Running fine 2 days ago. Now hanging!
Been trying to fix it for 5 hours and getting rather fed up!!!

At first I thought it was a corruption with the xml I was importing but I've run loads of tests and this is where I'm at:
OSX 10.8.2
Updated drivers for Decklink card and Cuda.
Uninstalled Resolve and installed 9.0.4

If I open the default empty project I can switch windows, load stills, etc. All happy.
But if I load one piece of media (SD or HD) into the media pool. Unhappy.
The clip appears in the media pool alright but if I touch it then I get the spinning wheel of death... and the activity monitor logs Resolve as Not Responding. After about 1 min it sorts itself and I can click somewhere but then immediately locks up again.
This is the same if I load the media via an XML, and in this case the timeline shows gray clips with only an image on the first.

It's as if the media was corrupt or I was accessing it from a slow drive. But the media loads fine in FCP and plays happily. I've tried from various drives with the same result. My media is on an external Promise RAID via fiber.

If I open the small project I had running 2 days ago it now displays the same issues.

HELP PLEASE I have a massive racing car project to grade this week and things are not looking good!!!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)
David Scott
Senior Editor
GOD TV
UK

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Hangs!

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Can you detail your hardware?
How much empty space do you have on your system disk?
In preferences, is the top listed disk drive your system disk or the promise?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 am

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on. Please reference this thread in the email so we know what it relates to.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

David Scott

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Peter & Dwaine
Thanks for your replies.
I am sending an email with docs as you suggest.
The system was configured by Jigsaw who are one of your re-sellers in the UK, so I'm presuming it's all set up correctly? They installed Resolve 8. I have upgraded to 9. It has been running sluggishly compared to 8 but then just suddenly stopped for no apparent reason.

I have a MacPro - 2x3GHz Quduad-core Intel Xeon with 16GB RAM. Broadcast monitor and scope connected via a Decklink 3D Extreme. 2 cinema monitors on an ATI Radeon HD 5770, and also a NVIDIA Quadro 4000. I have a Wave control surface. Media is on a 12TB Promise Raid via fiber.
I know this is not a flying machine by today's standards but it's all I have at the moment with no prospects of an upgrade for a few years.

System drive is only half full (190GB free) and is not used for media.

In preferences I only have the Promise Raid listed as: /Volumes/Promise Raid/Resolve database backups

I'm running 9.0.4 on OSX10.8.2 with drives installed for Decklink, Quadro and CUDA.

Currently I'm having to revert to Resolve 8 to get my job out... all help appreciated!

Many thanks
David Scott
David Scott
Senior Editor
GOD TV
UK

David Scott

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Peter & Dwaine
I sent an email 6 days ago as per your request but have not heard anything back yet?
I emailed again today.

Thanks
David
David Scott
Senior Editor
GOD TV
UK

Return to Post Production