Adjusting the Viewer Resolution & Pixel Aspect Ratio ...

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
blue moose

Adjusting the Viewer Resolution & Pixel Aspect Ratio ...

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:25 am

I am new to Resolve 9. Coming from Smoke and FCP I have this question about the by the way Resolve treats the PAR of source clips.
I spent time adjusting Project Settings, I read the manual, still I can't find a way to preview the Source non-square pixels (1440 x 1080) in regular their 16/9 proportions.
I managed to have clips in the timeline previewed correctly after a good deal of trial and error. Meanwhile I noticed that a changing of settings (Project Setting) is not reflected immediatly but only after switching windows.
The best I can get right now is (in the Conform window: Source showing as a 4x3 clip and Timeline showing as 16/9. And to get there I seem to need to set the timeline resolution to 1920x1080 (which means Resolve stretches the pixels behing the scene without telling).
Could someone show the way to get out of this discrepancy?
Regards.

Warren Eagles

Re: Adjusting the Viewer Resolution & Pixel Aspect Ratio ...

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Select the clips you need to change in the media pool then right click and select 'Clip Attributes" This opens up a new window, under the video tab, you will have PAR adjustments. These are presets, not manual controls.

Warren
Warren Eagles
International Colorist Academy
www.icolorist.com
@warreneagles
www.vimeo.com/icolorist

blue moose

Re: Adjusting the Viewer Resolution & Pixel Aspect Ratio ...

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Thank you. I had not seen this dialog box.
So I am trying right now to get proportions right. I order to get a proper 16/9 (1.778) PAR, I need to choose DVCPRO HD in the Clip Attributes dialog. When I then get to the Master Project Setting, there is no way I can get the right proportions whatever selection I choose for the Timeline resolution.
The 1440x1080 crops the image on both sides. What's left of the image thought is ok (image looks right). 1920x1080 stretches that same part of the image to fill the 16/9 proportions (not good, stretched horizontally).

It seems to me the only way I may get the right proportions in the process is to leave the Source clips in the Square PAR (in the clip attributes), forget about them and trust the Timeline-Color-Deliver windows.
In that case, the sample I outputted is 16/9.
No perfect solution. Weird though.

Return to Post Production