Capture video from VTR

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Rhonda Juan

Capture video from VTR

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 2:31 pm

I’d like to capture video from VTR. But testing for almost one week, still couldn’t get the signal from my VTR. Can someone tell me about the setting of Desktop Video’s Preference?My VTR video output is composite analog.

Colin Barrett

Re: Capture video from VTR

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 pm

The first and obvious question is "What BM device are you using to capture"?

A general point to note is that almost all BM hardware is useless at capturing analogue composite video that hasn't been first timebase corrected. I use a Teranex 2D, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) and H.264 Pro Recorder and none of them will accept an unstable composite video input.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Rhonda Juan

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:The first and obvious question is "What BM device are you using to capture"?

A general point to note is that almost all BM hardware is useless at capturing analogue composite video that hasn't been first timebase corrected. I use a Teranex 2D, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) and H.264 Pro Recorder and none of them will accept an unstable composite video input.

Thank you for answering me. My device is UltraStudio Express. So should I try time base correction now? How to do that?
Or as your opinion, BM hardware can not capture analogue composite video?

JPOwens

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:17 pm

Rhonda Juan wrote:BM hardware can not capture analogue composite video?

It can, it just has to be "time base stable." Most consumer-level video tape players are not. If you are not familiar with formats like Beta SP, Digital Betacam, and other professional decks, the output video from those devices is rigorously remapped to conform exactly with RS-170A standards for H/V sync and chroma jitter, by using a "Time Base Corrector" -- which used to exist as part of studio decks ranging from a 3-line dropout compensator to full color-framed synchronisers - meaning they could store up to 8 complete frames (PAL) at a time!

When the active picture area is roaming around based on --- really nothing at all --- as far as sync is concerned, the capture device has no idea where to start and stop digitizing in the signal stream.

Here is a quick primer on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_base_correction

and another article, a couple of year old discussing a consumer-level TBC:
http://www.unterzuber.com/TBC.html

jPo

Colin Barrett

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Rhonda Juan wrote:Or as your opinion, BM hardware can not capture analogue composite video?

You're quoting me wrongly. As jPO correctly says above, these devices can capture analogue composite video - it's just that its timebase must be technically "stable". I use a variety of devices for this purpose, the most reliable of which is a G2 MSTC (Multi-Standard Timebase Corrector), which takes an input from unstable composite and YC component input sources and then rebuilds each frame in sequence to ensure that they conform to spec and to the requirements of the BM capture hardware device. The TBC and the source VTR/VCR each take a reference signal from a central Sync Pulse Generator which means they're all singing from the same hymn sheet (so to speak!).

Interestingly, although TBCs are now becoming rare - even on eBay - there are new products from companies like TV-One, and I have a couple, but they're not robust enough to handle very unstable sources and playback where there are holes in sync. These complete drops in sync can throw the cheaper, less robust, TBC out and force a capture to abort. A good TBC is really vital.

Sorry to add to your equipment acquisition list but until BM builds in a good TBC circuit to accept composite video inputs it will be a necessary external process. I was very disappointed to find that even a Teranex (Express, 2D and 3D) can't perform this simple task and is a massive oversight in my opinion.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Rhonda Juan

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 2:08 am

Colin Barrett wrote:
Rhonda Juan wrote:Or as your opinion, BM hardware can not capture analogue composite video?

You're quoting me wrongly. As jPO correctly says above, these devices can capture analogue composite video - it's just that its timebase must be technically "stable". I use a variety of devices for this purpose, the most reliable of which is a G2 MSTC (Multi-Standard Timebase Corrector), which takes an input from unstable composite and YC component input sources and then rebuilds each frame in sequence to ensure that they conform to spec and to the requirements of the BM capture hardware device. The TBC and the source VTR/VCR each take a reference signal from a central Sync Pulse Generator which means they're all singing from the same hymn sheet (so to speak!).

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your opinion.
And I'll try both yours and JPO's advice, figuring out about my device's timebase first,
and try G2 MSTC.
Thanks a lot for answering my question.

Rhonda

Colin Barrett

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Rhonda Juan wrote:And I'll try both yours and JPO's advice, figuring out about my device's timebase first,
and try G2 MSTC.

They're very difficult to obtain now due to their age.

Rhonda Juan wrote:Thanks a lot for answering my question.

My pleasure!

Xris7744

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:51 am

Bonjour Christophe,

Je cherche à numériser un signal vidéo sans pilotage depuis une carte decklink 8k pro. Mais je ne parviens pas à recevoir le signal qui passe pourtant bien dans vidéo desktop.

Je suppose (c'est ce que je vais tester ce jour) qu'il faut régler dans DaVinci, tous les paramètres identiques au signal détecté dans vidéo desktop pour que l'image s'affiche enfin ? Et que le bouton d'enregistrement ne soit plus grisé ?

J'aimerais en effet numériser ce signal en DNxHD ce qui n'est pas possible dans media express.

Merci de ton retour.

Return to Post Production