cineform AVI

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jjmantello

cineform AVI

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi ,
We have bought Davinci resolve and are producing 3D movies for 20 years.
All our footage is historically stored with Cineform 3D 2K and 4K in AVI format.

We were very surprised that DAvinci for windows doesn't support the Cineform AVI files.
We are obliged to rewrap via HDLINK cineform files from AVI to MOV.... 150 TB of data.... long and difficult job....
For sure we could save AVI to Mov with Quicktime and make sequences but this is a one by one process that is very long...
Also there is another problem with the Cineform file is the Time code.
For r=example when rewraping a AVI Cineform that TC is set to 00:00:00:00 to MOV then firstlight will see both AVI and MOV with a 00:00:00:00 TC but Davinci will see the file with a strange TC like 06:11:15:00 Where does this tC comes from???? as there is no way to change the TC to 00:00 on all the footage inported in Davince at once this is another big work issue.

In fact thinking that we would have a "simpler and better" system for post production we find out that the transfer of our editting to DaVinci is extremly difficult.

I Hope the team of DaVinci will think about modifying those points....
We are using DaVinci 9.0.4, PC based 4K 3D.

Jean-Jacques

Elliott Balsley

Re: cineform AVI

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

I understand your frustration about lack of AVI support. Many people have requested this feature, but I think the Resolve development team is pretty small, considering the low price. AVI is nearly deprecated I think, so it's probably a low priority for them.
With a little time, it would be possible to write a script to rewrap hundreds of AVIs to MOV as a batch using ffmpeg. If you could post a sample clip, I can investigate the timecode issue for you.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

jjmantello

Re: cineform AVI

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for your answer Elliot .
And thanks for your proposal.
I would just clear some points.
Well pricing is a strategy.... And BM is not a tiny company....
Avi is not desapearing..... What other container can old 4k 3d files ?
Only Cineform Avi and mov.

Cineform is avi and mov ..... and the Cf Avi files works much better than CF qt files on a pc based machine.
For the TC problem it looks that Cineform has find the problem and as usual they will find a solution for that.
David Newman and the cineform team really listen to customers problem and gives fast answers.
This Avi problem in davinci is just unbelievable ....

How can you make a windows version of a software without supporting Avi files????
This is just incredible! And I'm really upset about this situation that lead us to lose time and money.

Lets be more positiv on another side:
This sofware is great and we really love it.
We succeed to have 3d4k real time color timed and stereo correction. Is great .
This is why I'm so upset.... I really want to use it. It we have to work around a huge problem of AVI compatibility.

Return to Post Production