Tangent Element: any hope for better mapping?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

starfish

Tangent Element: any hope for better mapping?

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi everybody,

last year I invested in a complete Tangent Element system. Because the hardware was pretty new I expected that the function mapping for Resolve would develop / expand in future, but nothing happened till then. Tangent provided the Tangent Mapper (still beta), which allows flexible function mapping, but this is not supported by Resolve.

I know that there have been some other threads about this topic, but my question to Blackmagic is: Can you give us any information whether you are working on better support for Tangent Element? Anything more than "We're listening constantly but we can't promise anything?"

I don't expect better control surface support in the free version and would happily pay for a full version with better third party control surface support only for this reason. I love Resolve, but will probably never be able to buy (or justify) the big "real" Resolve surface.

Paul Provost

Re: Tangent Element: any hope for better mapping?

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 am

Just keepin the dream alive huh?
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

starfish

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Paul Provost wrote:Just keepin the dream alive huh?

I'm doing my best. Maybe dreaming out loud will help... a little... ;-)

Paul Provost

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Ok I'll put in my +1
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

rungabic

Usefulness of Mf transport panel (or not)

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm looking at getting the Tangent Element, exclusively for Resolve work (despite the apparent less than perfect mapping). Can one of you guys confirm that the Mf transport panel is the least useful panel in the lineup?

In particular, I'm planning to use a JL Cooper MCS3 USB transport control, which emulates keyboard & mouse, and can be user-mapped. I plan to use this transport control in my NLE, and I can only assume it will work alongside the other Tangent Element panels in Resolve, since the MCS3 will simply emulate keystrokes.

My goal is to program the MCS3 to do everything that the Element Mf is currently mapped to do (which from the documentation, doesn't seem to be a whole lot). The only thing that would be missing is the OLED display for those functions. The benefit would be having one single transport control to get used to, across both Resolve and my NLE.

Does this make sense to you? If for any reason getting the Mf panel is important, then I'd want to get the entire Element as a package, since it's cheaper that way. But if I'm correct, I should just buy the other 3 Element panels a la carte...

Thanks for your input!

starfish

Re: Usefulness of Mf transport panel (or not)

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 am

rungabic wrote:I'm looking at getting the Tangent Element, exclusively for Resolve work (despite the apparent less than perfect mapping). Can one of you guys confirm that the Mf transport panel is the least useful panel in the lineup?

To me the Element transport isn't less useful than the other three panels. Besides of the transport functions I'm frequently using functions like Add/Delete/Bypass (Ser./Par.) Node, Prev/Next Node/Keyframe, Grab Still, Dynamic, Mark, Undo/Redo, Loop... If the MCS3 can do everything the MF transport can do, that's fine, but personally I'd invest in a full Tangent Element system – and join us begging for better Resolve support... ;-)

rungabic

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Well, it looks to me like all of the functions of Element Mf panel have corresponding keystrokes, so I should be able to map them to any other keyboard-emulating controller. And I would think that the real jog/shuttle dial on the MCS3 is superior to using a trackball and ring (which I thought isn't even mapped at all on the Element Mf?).

Plus, while the Element would sit dormant because it's not supported by my NLE, the MCS3 controller should be universal with any software. So really all I'd be losing is the OLED indicators for whatever functions are currently mapped to the Mf.

Basically, I wanted to make sure that this is a reasonable plan, and that at least with the current state of Tangent/Resolve mapping, I wouldn't be missing anything (and would actually be gaining) by going this route.

Assuming I get even a single Tangent panel, I'd put in my 2 cents for custom (or at least better and more complete) Resolve mapping. Unfortunately, it seems like they don't care.

Lee Niederkofler

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm

+1 for better mapping

bmdongle

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 am

+1 mapping!!

StefanKing

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 am

+1

would be cool, not to switch back to the primary views every time, when I press on the A/B menus on the Element to adjust the lum controls or the offsets. Very annoying and time consuming.

…………………………………………………………………………...
http://www.sking.de
DaVinci Resolve Linux 6 GPU
DaVinci Resolve Advanced Panel
Sony X300v2 & PVM X550
…………………………………………………………………………...

Esteban Aguilera

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 am

+1

Please!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100G usando Tapatalk 2

Return to Post Production