Missing codec ERROR in Premiere (Round-Tripping)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

usasikh1

Missing codec ERROR in Premiere (Round-Tripping)

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm fairly new to Davinci Resolve and having an issue round tripping between Davinci and Premiere PRO CS6. I edit a sequence in Premiere and then export XML to Davinci resolve. I then grade in Resolve and render using the preset for round tripping, which is QuickTime 10 bit uncompressed RGB. (My original footage was H264 compressed from Canon 5D mark III, so I dont know If i'm getting any benefit from this preset render. Then I export XML in Resolve, lastly I go back into premiere to import the xml file.The problem is when It asks to locate the rendered footage. Premiere states "codec missing or unavailable " on all the rendered footage from Davinci resolve. What codec am I missing, I have the latest quicktime installed.

SORRY I posted this on the Windows section, which was wrong.

UPDATE: I tried other formats and QT DNxHD works and premiere does recognizes it. I also rendered QT .h264 and saw that that the video bitrate was lot lower with the QT .H264. (THE QT DNxhd has higher bitrate but looks better at glance).

Would this be the best codec for my resolve and premiere workflow in windows O.S

Elliott Balsley

Re: Missing codec ERROR in Premiere (Round-Tripping)

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm

It sounds like Premiere is not recognizing your Blackmagic codecs installation. You can re-download and install the Desktop Video from BMD website.
But uncompressed 10-bit is way overkill for your application. Just use DNxHD 175x and save yourself a lot of disk space. H.264 is obviously a much lower quality format, intended only for final distribution.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Return to Post Production