Ultrascope/Mini Recorder/ScopeBox

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bobzelin

Ultrascope/Mini Recorder/ScopeBox

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi -
well, I just installed four new Blackmagic Mini Recorders with four Mac Mini computers running OS X 10.8.2. While the Mini Recorder works wonderfully, and is an incredible value at $137 street price, it is NOT Apple Thunderbolt compliant. Specifically, when you plug and unplug the Mini Recorder while the Mac Mini is on (in my case with a Apple Thunderbolt monitor) - the entire computer locks up, and you have to not only shut down the computer (which gives you a black screen, so you can't even tell what's happening) but you MUST shut down the stupid thunderbolt monitor (no power switch) - because it keeps the computer locked up, even after the computer is unplugged. Only after turning on and plugging in the peripherals (Thunderbolt monitor and Blackmagic Mini Recorder) can you properly restart the computer, and have everything work correctly.

While I had access to these systems, I downloaded Divergent Media ScopeBox waveform monitor/vectorscope (free 14 day trial, and $99 purchase price), and there is no question that the cheapest working waveform/vectorscope on the market today is the combo of a bare bones Mac Mini with cheap 1920x1080 LCD 24" Monitor, the Blackmagic Mini Recorder, and ScopeBox software.
It works great. It's not the same quality as an Ultrascope (combo with Mac Mini, and Teranex 2D running Ultrascope software), but it's pretty damn good.

The entire new facility I built was almost 100% Blackmagic/Apple (routers, monitors, tons of converters, ATEM, etc.) - it's amazing what can be done with Blackmagic hardware.

Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Pat Inhofer

Re: Ultrascope/Mini Recorder/ScopeBox

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 pm

bobzelin wrote:It's not the same quality as an Ultrascope ... but it's pretty damn good.

Bob - Can you elaborate on the above statement. When you say 'quality' - what do you mean?

(combo with Mac Mini, and Teranex 2D running Ultrascope software)

The Ultrascope is now qualified to run on a MacMini?
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Paul Provost

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 am

He means running the built in ultrascope in the teranex, which you can hook up to a Mac mini via thunderbolt. Alas the ultrascope is processed by teranex, so not of much use other than to monitor your teranex conversions...
I had the teranex/ ultrascope running on a 17" mbp. Pretty looking. But I use the ScopeBox, Mac mini, mini recorder solution now. Would rather have ultrascope.
Please bmd, give us passive pass through!
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Pat Inhofer

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Paul Provost wrote:He means running the built in ultrascope in the teranex, which you can hook up to a Mac mini via thunderbolt. Alas the ultrascope is processed by teranex, so not of much use other than to monitor your teranex conversions...

Thanks Paul - I was unaware that Ultrascope is build into the Teranex. That's nifty. A bypass would indeed make that a full-time solution.

I use the ScopeBox, Mac mini, mini recorder solution now. Would rather have ultrascope.

Is there something specific that you prefer with the Ultrascope over Scopebox? Or is it you'd rather have the Teranex working for you full-time?
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Paul Provost

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Ultrascope has Audio phase, error logging, monochrome, finer resolution.... But the layout is fixed so one point for ScopeBox.
But Also the teranex ultrascope has a big ol processing delay even if you set input and output to same standard because of the "always on" signal path.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Return to Post Production