Resolve 9.1 Crashing on Launch

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Eric Sackett

Resolve 9.1 Crashing on Launch

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Has anyone experienced Resolve crashing on launch? Just installed on my Mac Pro and can't get it to run.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 9.1 Crashing on Launch

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Eric Sackett wrote:Has anyone experienced Resolve crashing on launch? Just installed on my Mac Pro and can't get it to run.

You don't provide any other details so its a bit difficult.

Is this a new install, it sounds like it is.
Do you have NVIDIA GPU? If yes, is your CUDA up to date?
If you Mac running in 64-bit kernel mode?
Are you on 10.8.2?
What model of Mac Pro?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Eric Sackett

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Is this a new install: YES
Do you have NVIDIA GPU: NO, I have a ATI Radeon HD 5870
64-bit kernel mode: YES
Are you on 10.8.2?: NO, I am running 10.7.5, and must be Lion to connect to my XSAN system
What model of Mac Pro: Mid 2010, MacPro5.1

Dual Quad-Core 2.4 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
OS Hard Drive: 480GB SSD

I also tried down-grading the the previous version of Resolve and got the same issue with crashing.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Resolve will not properly work with AMD/ATI cards unless you are using OS X 10.8.2. If you must stay on 10.7.5, and you want to use Resolve, you will need to replace the ATI card with a supported NVIDIA card.

However, 10.7.5 with an HD5870 should not cause a crashing issue. Do you get any messages when you launch Resolve, or is it just crashing to the desktop before it gets to the User Login screen?

Again, even if we get Resolve working on your system, if you use 10.7.5 and the HD5870 card, you are going to get random posterization issues in highlight and lowlight areas of your image material. This is totally random, and relates to specific image material and grading interactions occuring. But they will occur at some point. And they will occur in rendered material. If you still want to get Resolve going with your current setup despite this issue, please follow the description below.

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on. Please reference this thread in the email so we know what it relates to.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Eric Sackett

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 am

It is just crashing on launch, it does not get to any screen and there are no application error messages that appear.

Return to Post Production