After Effects, EXR and Resolve -> Linear LUT

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

DCDK

After Effects, EXR and Resolve -> Linear LUT

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi,

after finishing to work on RED footage (REDgamma3) in After Effects CS6, I want to render out the clip as EXR sequence to import it into Resolve v9 for grading. After grading, I want to render the clip out again as EXRs and import it back in After Effects and Premiere Pro.

My problem is that there's no correct gamma correction from linear to Gamma 2.2 in Resolve (picture is to dark). After rendering out the files again in Resolve and importing them in After Effects, they look again correct. The color picker is showing (in 8bit) the same values in AFX and Resolve. Obviously, the problem is Resolve's linear interpretation.

I'm working in After Effects with the following settings:

Project settings

Color Settings

Depth 32 bit per channel (float)
Working Space sRGB IEC61966-2.1

x Linearize Working Space
x Blend Colors Using 1.0 Gamma
o Match Legacy AFX QT Gamma Adjustments
x Compensate for Scene-referred Profiles

Color Management

o Preserve RGB
x Assign Profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Interpret As Linear Light: On for 32 bpc

In Resolve, I use the following settings:

Master Project Setings:

Image Processing is: 32 bit foating point
Color Science is: DaVinci ACES

Timeline Lookup Tables

No LUTs selected

No Input Device Transform
No Output Device Transform

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what to change? Or if there exists somewhere a cube LUT lin -> rec709 that's not clipping information above 1.0?

Cheers
David

PS: Can I force Resolve to show the floating point values with the color picker?
Attachments
Project settings Resolve 1.jpg
Project settings Resolve 1.jpg (152.45 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
File settings.jpg
File settings.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Project settings.jpg
Project settings.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Last edited by DCDK on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: After Effects, EXR and Resolve -> Gamma shift

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 am

Hey, check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5283

The GUI viewer in Resolve is not colour managed and shouldn't be used for that purpose. You're meant to use a dedicated video card to output video signal to a proper grading monitor. The ideal situation is to use a 10bit professional grading monitor, BUT i'd like to see fairly decent calibrated PC monitors be more supported via the GUI viewer (with colour management support) since not everyone is looking to charge others for grading, but rather will be grading their own work perhaps only destined for internet delivery. I think it would be useful for those doing onset dailies with just a laptop etc too.

I see this as an issue that will come up more and more (and already seems to be).

Check out the config guides here for more info on building a Resolve system:

Windows:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4 ... -08-30.pdf

Mac:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4 ... -10-10.pdf

p.s I see you're using ACES, are you using the proper IDT/ODT LUTs etc for your footage?
I also remember reading that RED recommended not using ACES but that was months ago so may have changed now (i haven't kept up with it).
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

DCDK

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm not using the GUI viewer as a reference. I use a Panasonic P50VT25 via a Decklink Extreme 3D+.

The GUI viewer is "colour managed", since it reflects display LUTs (of course still not to be used for grading, but it gives you a rough idea if the colours are way off).

I converted the RED footage to AECS in AFX. I applied there the Filmconvert plugin (rather nice film emulsion LUTs) and rendered it out to EXR 16bit.

Only solution I can find is staying in sRGB when rendering out.

Did anyone find an other solution? Or a lin to rec709 LUT?

Cheers
David

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Sorry i assumed you were using the UI viewer as it's come up before and always with the gamma issue being menioned. This is what Peter (Resolve Product manager) said about the UI Viewer so you can see why i jumped to this conclusion:

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Consider the UI monitor to be for UI.

The DeckLink accepts the RGB image from Resolve and presents it as HD-SD for the monitor. You may think that the DVI output from the graphics card is doing the same but you would be incorrectly assuming that the application is displaying the correct gamma on the UI monitor before it passes the image to the DVI out.

While Resolve does apply the correct gamma, most applications do not and so you can not use the UI monitor for cross app comparison.
Peter

I've seen a colour/saturation shift on Avid Media Composer (6) via the same Decklink 3D as you, and Resolve 9 via the same Decklink to the same Sony PVM-2541 monitor (and also to the Plasma), but haven't noticed any gamma shift sorry.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

DCDK

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 7:36 am

CaptainHook wrote:I've seen a colour/saturation shift on Avid Media Composer (6) via the same Decklink 3D as you, and Resolve 9 via the same Decklink to the same Sony PVM-2541 monitor (and also to the Plasma), but haven't noticed any gamma shift sorry.

I've edited the first post, since I think I made some errors describing my problem.

In fact, my problem is that there is no gamma "shift". I need a function in Resolve to apply a Gamma 2.2 to linear footage without clipping information above 1.0

Can someone maybe extract a lin to rec709 LUT as a cube file from Nuke or somewhere?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: After Effects, EXR and Resolve -> Linear LUT

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 am

Ah i see.
Would going here and choosing "advanced" -> source:linear -> destination:video -> 1DLut (colour space none) and file format to resolve work?

http://www.arri.com/camera/digital_came ... rator.html

Not sure if it will clip above 1.0 though as i haven't done this myself but you can leave the range 'extended' so i assume it will be fine. Hopefully someone else can chime in if this doesn't work. Good luck. :)

Return to Post Production