UltraStudio Express no HDMI connection from DVD player

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Walter Strummer

UltraStudio Express no HDMI connection from DVD player

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello,

I'm using the UltraStudio Express box to capture from SDI and have never had a problem with it.
Now I want to capture from a DVD player for the first time using a HDMI connection. Unfortunately it seems the DVD player doesn't recognize the UltraStudio Express box as a valid target since I won't get a signal in Media Express and on the other side in the DVD player's setup the settings for HDMI output are disabled. As soon as I switch the HDMI cable from the UltraStudio Express box to a monitor, the settings are enabled in the DVD player's setup showing the HDMI output format is 1080i50. Switching the cable back to the UltraStudio Express box results in the HDMI settings getting grey and being disabled. I already set the Project Video Format in Media Express to 1080i50 and the video input to HDMI in the Desktop Video settings. Could someone please advise what I could do?
By the way: I also tried another DVD player of a different manufacturer, but it's exactly the same here...

Thanks in advance

Adam Simmons

Re: UltraStudio Express no HDMI connection from DVD player

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 5:06 pm

The DVD player will have copy protection through the HDMI (HDCP) which no BM products will allow you to capture from as they don't allow for capturing of copy protected material
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Walter Strummer

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 9:17 am

Ok, makes sense, thank you. Ironically I don't even want to capture copy protected material. I have some old VHS Tapes with private stuff that I wanted to loop through the dvd player (dvd recorder actually) and thus capture with UltraStudio Express. Too bad, now I need to find another way to do so...

Thank you anyway.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Just use a HDMI splitter between DVD player and UltraStudio Express.

Walter Strummer

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you, I'll try! Any recommendations which splitter to use? Or does ervery splitter kill HDCP?

Colin Barrett

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Walter Strummer wrote:Thank you, I'll try! Any recommendations which splitter to use? Or does ervery splitter kill HDCP?

Have a look on either eBay or Amazon and you'll see lots of vendors selling HDMI Splitters. However, be careful not to buy the first one you see because several of the later models might not filter out the embedded HDCP signal so read the comments carefully (on Amazon, essentially) because the question almost always arises and you'll get an answer.

I have a similar problem in that I want to archive HD television programming from my home satellite TV decoder and the only way to save HD material is to play it out in real time and re-capture it (while SD programming can be dumped out to a USB storage device) but I can't do this if I can't filter the HDCP. I intend to capture via HDMI as high bit-rate H.264 using the Blackmagic H264 Pro Recorder and I'm also looking at a splitter to perform the task.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

I got this one for my Intensity Pro 4K...

splitter.jpg
splitter.jpg (80.78 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

That should be fine.

Colin Barrett

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Do you know if it works OK?
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Colin, as far as I am concerned the answer is a clear yes!

That's my workflow:

JVC HR-S7611->PANASONIC DMR-EH575->HDMI SPLITTER->INTENSITY PRO 4K

Walter Strummer

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am

Thank you guys so much, it works!! I got me this one:
Incutex Full HD 1080p HDMI Splitter

Again: thank you very much, you helped me a lot!!

Massimiliano Celindano

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes, that's all we wanted to hear! I'm glad it worked out.

Colin Barrett

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:24 am

This is interesting because if you look on eBay you'll see lots of similar devices that have been branded even though they have all obviously been manufactured in the same factory in Shenzhen, so I'm very tempted to buy one of the above devices!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 9:31 pm

As much as these devices can be useful they are also illegal and can't be certified and carry official HDMI logo.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 1:49 am

Yes of course, but you know... as long as they work...

Return to Post Production