roundtripping BMCC footage, FCPX - Resolve 9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rupeman

roundtripping BMCC footage, FCPX - Resolve 9

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello Guys,

We shot the BMCC on a project the other day, I was able to successfully use Resolve 9.1.1 to Render QT proxy files for us to edit with in FCPX. Now we are trying to send our project to the colorist but every time I attempt to test the FCPX XLM, Resolve links back to the proxy media and not the RAW BMCC media.

I've tried everything I know to try but can't get it to link back to the Raw media with no avail. Please help.

Steps I've tried -
1) making sure the proxy media had the exact same name as the BMCC clip folder name.
2) deleting the proxy medi, and then telling resolve where to go look. It says it can't link to the media..

Any ideas?

adamroberts

Re: roundtripping BMCC footage, FCPX - Resolve 9

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am

Try this:

Export your XML.
Open Resolve and your project that you created your proxies from. This project should only contain your RAW footage in the media library.
Now in the conform panel Import your XML but uncheck “Automatically import source clips into media pool”.

Resolve will now reference the original footage rather then the proxies.

Cam Macduff

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey Adam,
so if I understand you correctly, as long as I bring my XML back into the Resolve project I originally exported my proxies from, and don't check the 'auto import...' check box, I'm relinking to camera files?
So what is the check box below that for that says 'link to source camera files' for?
The manual doesn't say much more than what the check box does...

Cam Macduff

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 am

<--BUMP-->
Sorry, any takers?
This may seem basic but I did my original training on Resolve 8 and a lot seems to have changed.
Keyboard shortcuts especially. :oops:
I think I've answered my own question, but, can someone confirm that it doesn't really matter what Resolve project you import your FCPX XML to, as long as all the corresponding footage is in your media bin?
And I'm still none the wiser on what the check-box for 'link to source camera files' is for...
:?:

adamroberts

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 am

Hey Cam

If you start a new project, import the original media first. Then import the XML and un-check the "import media" check box.

Resolve then looks at the media pool for matching footage and relinks for you.

adamroberts

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 am

That checkbox is for importing projects that were edited with the original media.

Like editing a ProRes project where no proxies were used. You can then import your XML and media in one go.

Cam Macduff

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 am

Thanks Adam, I really need to do a refresher since I'm really not used to 9 at all.
I was also having an odd issue that even though I'd left that check-box unchecked, the proxies were still being reconnected.
I dumped all my cache's and cleaned up the folder with project files in and it seem to fix it.
Cheers!

adamroberts

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:13 pm

You might have imported the proxies into you media pool when you imported you footage to start with?

Cam Macduff

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 9:19 pm

I thought that but no. If I closed the project without saving it and reopened it, no proxies in the media pool.

John Hewat

PostSat May 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Cam Macduff wrote:Thanks Adam, I really need to do a refresher since I'm really not used to 9 at all.
I was also having an odd issue that even though I'd left that check-box unchecked, the proxies were still being reconnected.
I dumped all my cache's and cleaned up the folder with project files in and it seem to fix it.
Cheers!

Hi Cam,

I'm having the same trouble that you were: even with that option unchecked, Resolve won't link the original RAW DNGs.

Can you elaborate on your solution of dumping the cache and cleaning up the project file? Are you referring to the Resolve cache and project file? I don't even know where the Resolve cache is!

Thanks,

-- John

Cam Macduff

PostSat May 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I had been using v8. Upgraded to 9, but it was an earlier version of 9.
I upgraded and also switch it to the database version from the file based version.
Not sure which of those fixed the issue, but after the upgrade it would no longer bring in the proxy footage and would only link to the DNG's in the media bin in Resolve.

John Hewat

PostSat May 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks. I didn't even know there was a file or database version. How do I switch between those?

Also, the proxies I've been editing with weren't created in Resolve, they were created in Cineform Stuio Premium, because I don't own the camera (or therefore the full version of Resolve, so creating proxies with Redolve would have scaled everything to HD whereas Cineform allows me to use 2.5K proxies.

Would the fact that my proxies weren't created in Resolve be a factor?

Cam Macduff

PostMon May 13, 2013 12:24 am

On your login screen there's a little icon in the bottom right. Click on that and you'll see your database info.
If you see /Library/Application Support/... etc. in the Host field, you're using file based.
Just create a new one if you want to swap to a DB version.

Re: Proxies, I don't think Resolve would care where the proxies came from - but, I don't believe the free version of Resolve supports resolutions bigger than 1080p. Hence it's free. But I'm not sure if that restriction applies to input and output, or just output only. Best to check the specs online...

I'm using the full version.

Return to Post Production