No HDMI output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rjhanson

No HDMI output

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello everyone,
new to Ubuntu and Blackmagic intensity Pro. I finally got everything working, or so I thought. I hooked up my Sony HDR-cx190 HD AVCHD handycam and a HTML monitor. I believe the HMTL connectors are tied together so what comes in one goes out the other since neither are labeled in and out. With everything running my monitor just shows black. I know my cameris outputing HTML as I can hook it diectly to the monitor and i see the output.

So, what am I doing wrong here, this should a no brainer yet here I sit stuck. I have no captured signal as well and I have tried all the signal settings in the magic control panel.

Can anyone point out my errors so I can start capturing videos?

Thanks

Richard
Last edited by rjhanson on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reuben

Re: No Html output

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 pm

First you need to quite taking hits of whatever it is you're smoking. (HTML != HDMI)

Secondly, the HDMI out is for playback. It is not a loop-through DA for the input

rjhanson

Re: No HDMI output

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 am

Reuben wrote:First you need to quite taking hits of whatever it is you're smoking. (HTML != HDMI)

Secondly, the HDMI out is for playback. It is not a loop-through DA for the input

That is fine I can take the hit on spelling, but your answer was not really enlightening. I have 2 HDMI connector, neither are labeled. Which is the HDMI in and which is the HDMI out for playback?

More importantly, the initial question (not my spelling capabilities) is why I can not preview the video coming in from my video camera?

Thanks Richard
Last edited by rjhanson on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Daniel Knoche

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 3:48 am

The one on the right should be input, left output.

Not sure about ubuntu and assuming you are trying to use media express?

Make sure in the control panel (or equivalent) the input is set to the same as the camera output. In media express itself (or whatever other software you are using) you will again need to check the input is set to the same output as the camera. This is both for resolution (ie 720P, 1080P etc and frame 25, 50 etc)

Hope that helps
Daniel

Reuben

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:04 am

You should be able to preview with MediaExpress. But you cannot hook a monitor up and expect the signal to loop through from the input.

If you are not seeing anything on Media Express, then the format it is set to does not match the singal comming in on the HDMI input. The capture device does not automatically change to match the format comming in. You have to do that manually within Media Express. If the capture monitor in Media Express is black, and no audio metering, it is not set up to capture the format you are sending to it.

Blackmagic's product page has a connection diagram: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/1 ... itypro.png

rjhanson

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 am

Reuben wrote:You should be able to preview with MediaExpress. But you cannot hook a monitor up and expect the signal to loop through from the input.

If you are not seeing anything on Media Express, then the format it is set to does not match the singal comming in on the HDMI input. The capture device does not automatically change to match the format comming in. You have to do that manually within Media Express. If the capture monitor in Media Express is black, and no audio metering, it is not set up to capture the format you are sending to it.

Blackmagic's product page has a connection diagram: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/1 ... itypro.png

Thanks for the diagram, my user manual does not have a specific layout showing which was which.

I have set the following:
Blackmagic Design Control Panel:
HDMI Video & HDMI Audio - Input
Default HDMI - HD 1080i 60
Media Express Software:
Preferences:
Video Format - HD 1080i 60
Capture File Format: Tried both - AVI Motion Jpeg & AVI 8-bit YUV

Is there some log file or something that I can look for that may let me know if card is working correctly without media express?

Thanks for the assistance

Reuben

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm

There is no such thing as HD 1080i 60. (Well, there is. But you will only get something like that if your source is a computer)

Try 1080i@59.94

rjhanson

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Reuben wrote:There is no such thing as HD 1080i 60. (Well, there is. But you will only get something like that if your source is a computer)

Try 1080i@59.94

OK, so what you are telling me is, the video camera is capturing 1080i 60 (that is what the documentation says) but is outputting something lower then this and maybe even lower then 59.94? This is such a pain trying to match this stuff up. I will try the lower settings on Blackmagic as well as the lower setting on the camera, maybe, just maybe I can find something they both like.

Thanks

Reuben

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Welcome to the legacy of NTSC.

Cameras may say 30 or 60 FPS (especially the more consumer grade stuff) but that is not the actual frame rate. For NTSC related rates, the frame base is 1.001 seconds rather than 1 second. So the frame rate is 60 (or 30) frames per every 1.001 seconds.

Writen rationally that is
60/1.001 or 30/1.001

If you divide that out to a decimal numer yet get 59.940059940... and 29.970029970... respectively.

Which in turn is usually referred to 59.94 and 29.97 for sake of berevity.

Return to Post Production