UltraStudio Mini Monitor + LG E7P-Series 55"OLED Not working

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brian Ford

UltraStudio Mini Monitor + LG E7P-Series 55"OLED Not working

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 pm

I recently purchased an LG E7P-Series 55" OLED (the 2017 model that was just released). I connected the OLED TV to the UltraStudio Mini Monitor and nothing played on screen out of Premiere. The SDI signal from the UltraStudio Mini Monitor connected my Flanders CM250 was playing back correctly. I connected an old Panasonic Plasma HDTV using the same HDMI cable to the UltraStudio Mini Monitor and video played back correctly. Any one else have the LG E7P-Series 55" OLED connected to the UltraStudio Mini Monitor with success?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor + LG E7P-Series 55"OLED NOT WOR

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Have you tried different formats- 24p v 50i etc?
Have you tried different HDMI slot on TV?
Look at HDMI settings in Tv settings.
Even if it all worked on Panasonic try different HDMI cable- avoid cheapest ones. Buy decent one, but no need to go for 50$ ones :)

If it's a new TV make sure it's running latest firmware. Connect it to internet and check if it has update available.

These sort of problems do appear time to time and BM devices seams to be prone to them, but problem can be also on TV side.

Brian Ford

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 pm

I should have included that in my original post. Yes, I ran the firmware update for the TV as soon as I powered it on. I told it to check again for updates, and it said it was all up to date.

After that I made sure I was running the latest Blackmagic Desktop Video software, which I updated to 10.9.3. I cycled through a lot of presets with both 1080PsF on and off for each of the frame rates.

Then I tried all of the HDMI ports. The TV detected that something was plugged into the specific HDMI by popping up a dialogue box on screen. The list of HDMI ports would all be dim other than the port that the UltraStudio Mini Monitor was plugged into.

I tried multiple Premiere Projects with different frame rates to no avail.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:27 pm

PsF does not apply to HDMI- this is strictly SDI related.
There is most likely some compatibility issue. You can try to solve it by adding some HDMI splitter (specially active one). This workaround may solve it.

Just to make sure- you have preview on Panasonic, then re-plug cable to LG and no preview? (just to make sure it's not something else).

Brian Ford

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Andrew, in my experience the PsF would affect the HDMI signal. The old Panasonic Plasma TV I was using perviously would sometimes not display video with a certain project open , and toggling the PsF would get the video signal back on the TV. The signal, PsF or not, always works on the Flanders.

The part that I don't understand is that it is an HDMI signal. I connected a PS4 to the LG E7P-Series 55" OLED, and it displayed video as soon as it was powered on. However, no signal from the UltraStudio Mini Monitor has displayed any video.

Like I said, I did confirm that the HDMI out of the UltraStudio Mini Monitor is working by connecting the old Panasonic Plasma.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Our Samsung TVs will not work if you simply convert SDI PsF signal to HDMI without any processing, on that topic.

OP, have you tried any software other than Premiere with the Decklink card?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brian Ford

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:28 am

Jack, I'm not converting SDI to HDMI. I'm using the HDMI output on the UltraStudio Mini Monitor. It has worked flawlessly with the Panasonic Plasma TV I've been using for years.

And I haven't tried any other software since Premiere does work with the UltraStudio Mini Monitor and the Panasonic Plasma. That tells me that the HDMI signal from the Mini Monitor is working out of Premiere. I'm trying to figure out why that same signal and HDMI cable isn't working on the LG E7P OLED. I did try other HDMI cables that I had laying around with no success.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am

Brian Ford wrote:Andrew, in my experience the PsF would affect the HDMI signal. The old Panasonic Plasma TV I was using perviously would sometimes not display video with a certain project open , and toggling the PsF would get the video signal back on the TV. The signal, PsF or not, always works on the Flanders.

PsF doesn't exist in HDMI "world", it's purely SDI related technology.
PsF setting will be converted into progressive or interlaced signal for HDMI output (and this is why you say it does affect HDMI).
What you experience is this:
when you have card set to e.g. 25fps and PsF not selected then card will be sending real progressive signal 25p over SDI (which old equipment doesn't support) and HDMI. When you use PsF option then SDI becomes PsF (progressive over interlaced for legacy equipment) and HDMI will be internally "converted" into most likely interlaced (so 25i signal). Some manufactures may also convert into 25p when PsF is selected as in reality this is still progressive signal. HDMI will be always 25p or 25i (or 29.97p/29.97i etc)- there is no such a thing like PsF signal with HDMI transmission.

It can be incompatibility issue- as I said, it happens. Get some cheap HDMI splitter for test and add it between card and LG.
Have you tried UHD frame size also?

Brian Ford

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:14 am

Andrew, thanks for your clarification on PsF.

The signal being sent to the Flanders and LG is 1080p, so I have not done anything with UHD frame size.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Try sending UHD 24p for example. I don't think it's going to change anything, but worth a try.

Brian Ford

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Andrew, I tried that this morning and got the same result, no picture. I did order an active HDMI splitter. I'll post on whether it works or not. I also looked at the Blackmagic SDI - HDMI Mini Adapter, and if the HDMI Splitter doesn't work I might try the BM adapter and loop the SDI out of the Flanders CM25 to see if that might work.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 10:43 am

Splitter is affordable, but buying another BM "cheap" converter starts to negate price of Mini Monitor. You also have no guarantee that it's going to work. Buy from the shop where you can return it.

Brian Ford

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm

We received the splitter today, and it worked perfectly!! Not exactly sure why the signal from the BMD was causing issues with the LG OLED TV, but the splitter seems to have solved the issue. The TV needs to be calibrated, but I have attached an image of it working.
Attachments
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG (792.89 KiB) Viewed 11227 times

Jonathan Kutner

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 pm

If your looking for calibration help and your in the LA area let me know I can help.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 am

Your speakers are bit to low. Put them on some stands.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Another person had same issue with LG.
Active splitter did the job.
BM should look into their HDMI implementation.

Brian Ford

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 pm

I have everything dialed in an working well. I have upgraded from the Mini Monitor to the Blackmagic DeckLink 4k Extreme which has eliminated the need for the splitter. I now have a 5.1 surround monitoring setup along with a 4k signal running to the LG OLED panel along with a downconverted 1080p signal running to the Flanders CM250.
Attachments
Elastic-Pictures-Color-Suite-CU.jpg
Elastic-Pictures-Color-Suite-CU.jpg (910.58 KiB) Viewed 7747 times
Elastic Pictures Color Suite.jpg
Elastic Pictures Color Suite.jpg (482.21 KiB) Viewed 7747 times

acravens

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:46 am

Brian Ford wrote:We received the splitter today, and it worked perfectly!! Not exactly sure why the signal from the BMD was causing issues with the LG OLED TV, but the splitter seems to have solved the issue. The TV needs to be calibrated, but I have attached an image of it working.

I have been trying desperately to get a BM Ultrastudio mini monitor to work with a new LG OLED CX. Can you please share the exact splitter you used to get a successful result. I'm losing my mind!

Brian Ford

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 1:48 am

acravens wrote:
Brian Ford wrote:We received the splitter today, and it worked perfectly!! Not exactly sure why the signal from the BMD was causing issues with the LG OLED TV, but the splitter seems to have solved the issue. The TV needs to be calibrated, but I have attached an image of it working.

I have been trying desperately to get a BM Ultrastudio mini monitor to work with a new LG OLED CX. Can you please share the exact splitter you used to get a successful result. I'm losing my mind!

This is the one we used to get the signal to work. Hope it helps.

HDMI Splitter, Yuangao 1 in 2 Out Hdmi Splitter Adapter Support 4Kx2K 3D 1080P Hdmi Switch Signal Distributor HD Amplifier with Adapter for HDTV PC PS3/PS4 Xbox (1 in 2 Out) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9RRVNB/re ... HFbSR6381H

acravens

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor + LG E7P-Series 55"OLED Not wor

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks so much for the link. Someone in another forum recommended this Monoprice splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Blackb ... SA452?th=1

Same idea as the one you recommended and I'm happy to report that it works perfectly!

Ashaad Appu

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 11:16 am

Brian Ford wrote:
acravens wrote:

This is the one we used to get the signal to work. Hope it helps.

HDMI Splitter, Yuangao 1 in 2 Out Hdmi Splitter Adapter Support 4Kx2K 3D 1080P Hdmi Switch Signal Distributor HD Amplifier with Adapter for HDTV PC PS3/PS4 Xbox (1 in 2 Out)

I looked up the specifications of this product and it says that it supports only up to HDMI 1.4 and as far as I know HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 10bit color. so does it mean using a splitter will not give me a 10bit signal for reference in the grading monitor?

Jack Fairley

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor + LG E7P-Series 55"OLED Not wor

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 11:17 pm

HDMI 1.4 supports 10-bit color just fine.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Post Production