4K raw showing in media browser, imported - 256x171-8b only?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

tfraser

4K raw showing in media browser, imported - 256x171-8b only?

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I just took delivery of a Nikon V1 which does 30 frames of 4K raw storing each as Nikon NEF files using it's electronic shutter.

I used Adobe DNG Converter to convert all 30 frames into a sequence of 30 DNG files.

CinemaDNG can exist as a sequentially numbered sequence of DNG files in a directory. To prove this I downloaded the Autumn1 files from http://www.ikonoskop.com/workflow/
and it load into Resolve 9 lite without problem and shows the correct resolution of 2048x1092-16b and of course looks great. I notice that Each AND EVERY DNG file is 3,288KB.

Interestingly when I look at the file size of my Nikon NEF files they are all slightly different sizes but all close to 10,300KB. After converting using Adobe DNG Converter, Each file is again slightly different size but all are about 11,700KB. Maybe I have answered my own question, but how to convert my NEF files to a consistent DNG sequence?

Help appreciated!

Here is an example of a V1 Sequence, using RAW files, but using tools other than Resolve ;-(
http://vimeo.com/61774105#

I can't wait to overcome whatever problem I have to get the Nikon output into Resolve!!

Tim

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: 4K raw showing in media browser, imported - 256x171-8b o

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Resolve only supports CinemaDNG files.

Standard DNG files have multiresolution support, and if you put one of those in Resolve, it will usually see and report the lowest resolution. Resolve does not support those.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tfraser

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for your helpful insight.

I have found that if i convert the NEF files to a 16bit TIFF sequence then resolve imports that sequence into the Media Pool at full resolution, although obviously I am missing the full advantage of RAW.

I understand when you say resolve sees the lowest resolution, although I'm not quite with you as to why my full resolution sequence (3872x2592) was imported at such a low res of 256x171/8b as the lowest res file in the sequence must have been many times that. There must be a reason resolve defaults to that small a res.

If only the resolution was higher, every other aspect is functioning well, grading, deliver etc. Which leads me to think there could be a not very time expensive fix if we ask you very nicely? :-)

I'm very willing to provide a zipped directory of say 15 or 30 DNG frames output by Adobe DNG Converter from my Nikon V1 in Burst mode if it helps.

Tim Fraser

Elliott Balsley

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

There might be a way to delete the thumbnail from each frame before importing to Resolve. Send me some frames, and I'll see if I can write a script for it.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

tfraser

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:28 am

Hello Elliot,

Thanks for responding. I have just sent a zipped file via email to you!

Tim Fraser
Occasionally sunny Scotland

Elliott Balsley

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Tim, I dug around a bit, but I was unable to make those files work. What I can tell you is that each frame contains 3 images:
a) full-res NEF
b) 256x171 TIFF
c) 1616x1080 JPEG
Using Adobe DNG Converter, I think you choose what size jpeg preview is embedded, but there doesn't seem to be any way of removing the tiff thumbnail.

Dwaine, I believe CinemaDNG can contain thumbnails too. See section 5.4 of the CinemaDNG spec:
5.4 Including Additional Images In The Same DNG Data Set
The DNG dataset may include additional images, such as rendered previews, thumbnails, or reduced resolution versions, all of which can be used as proxies when editing. A compliant CinemaDNG decoder should ignore these images.

Apparently this is a required feature of an CinemaDNG decoder, so I hope it's on Blackmagic's to-do list.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Return to Post Production