Student Needs Help w/ Developing a Workflow

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

tryn2chanjdgame

Student Needs Help w/ Developing a Workflow

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm a film student and i'm trying to develop a editing/ effects/ color workflow. I would like to use Media Composer 6.5, Adobe After Effects CS6, and Davinci Resolve 9 Lite in conjunction with each other.
Also, I do have Automatic Duck and Boris AE Transfer, but the issue is knowing the proper codecs and ways to export the files and projects.

If someone could give me a simple outline of a workflow that would work with these applications.

- I typically edit in Media Composer using AMA.
- I use After Effects for effects work.
- I prefer to color in Davinci Resolve.
- Using Mac OSX 10.8.3

From here is where I get lost and confused on how to export my project from Adobe After Effects into Davinci Resolve. Also i'm confused on exporting my Davinci Resolve project. I've tried exporting AAF from both Resolve and After Effects, however when I import that AAF back into Media Composer the media is offline.

I'm not tying to steal anyone's secret formula lol, I'm just in need of a little guidance in developing a reliable workflow using the aforementioned applications.

Thanks in advance…

Elliott Balsley

Re: Student Needs Help w/ Developing a Workflow

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 am

What kind of footage are you working with, i.e. what camera?
Typically, you would not want to finish in Media Composer, because it can't handle high quality files like DPX sequences. Finish in Resolve or Avid DS or something else. But if you are doing low res, non-raw work, it might be fine.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Return to Post Production