File transfer to Hyperdeck for playback

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

chriskone1

File transfer to Hyperdeck for playback

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am

Hi
Has anybody an idea for the exact file/format specs. to use if you want to export a file to a ssd and then use it in the hyperdeck for play back?

We edit on two systems then we would like to use the hyperdeck for line-playout.

Any ideas?

Thank You!
Christoffer Koller a.e.e | bfsFreelance TV & Film Editor

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer | Postproduction-Management

w: http://www.kollerundkader.com
e: office@kollerundkader.com

darrenr0

Re: File transfer to Hyperdeck for playback

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Hey there

I'm also after an answer to this question. I have both the Blackmagic Hyperdeck and Hyperdeck Pro and with both units I'm able to record and play back on the SSD no problem. Both Hyperdecks are running the latest firmware.

This issue I have found is creating a file in post production that PLAYS BACK on either Hyperdeck.

I've exported a 15 minute 'Quicktime Pro Res 422 (HQ)' from the following applications in Mac 10.8.3:

* Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
* Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
* Adobe After Effects CS5
* Apple Final Cut 10.0.6 (exporting to Compressor 4.0.6)
* Apple Quicktime Pro 7.6.6

The only file that worked (I use the term loosely) was the export from After Effects. However 05:04 into the 15 minutes the file got stuck into a 2 second loop? I checked the original file on the mac and all is well so not sure what going on? I tried another export in After Effect but with a different source file and the same thing happened, this time 04:35 into the file?

I'm completely baffled as to why I am unable to get any file to play back properly on these devices?

I'm going to try the same but using Apple Final Cut Pro 7 so I will report back.

Would really appreciate some guidance from anyone who has an answer to this problem.

Cheers! ;)

andreww

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 am

I am having a similar issue with DNXHD files that I have created in an edit.

If I export 185MBPS 10bit pictures, these re-play on the Shuttle, but no matter what audio settings I try I can not get audio out of the shuttle..

Would love to be able to do this it would be extremely useful.

dillerj

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I have a hyerpdeck studio pro, I read somewhere that the hyperdecks wouldn't play back files that were not recorded by the deck but i also know there was a recent software update (connect the deck to a compute with the hyperdeck utility installed and it will auto update) that may have fixed it for everyone.
What I did was to record a few seconds of bars/black whatever with my Hyperdeck and then drop that into my sequence in FCP7, when it asked if I wanted to match my sequence settings i said yes. I did this and the file i outputted worked great. Here is the info I got from the "item properties"

HD:
Vid Rate: 29.97 FPS
Frame Size: 1920 x 1080
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Data Rate: 26.7 MB/sec
Pixel Aspect: Square
Field Dominance: Upper (odd)
Alpha: none/ignore

SD:
Vid Rate: 29.97 FPS
Frame Size: 720x486
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Data Rate: 9.7MB/sec
Pixel Aspect: NTSC - CCIR601
Field Dominance: Lower (even)

I hope this helps!

darrenr0

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi

Yeah I upgraded the hyperdecks with 3.7.1 which came out at the end of March so I was definitely running the latest version.

I finally managed to get some footage working exporting sequences from Final Cut Pro 7 as Apple ProRes (HQ) 50i.

It has been a massive headache but got there in the end.

Cheers!

Baz

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 am

The Hyperdeck will only do 2 channel audio for 'created files' even though it will record 16 channel files.
The BMD guys are all at NAB at the moment but they would normally chime in here and tell you what they have said many times in the past.

baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

andreww

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm

chriskone1 wrote:Hi
Has anybody an idea for the exact file/format specs. to use if you want to export a file to a ssd and then use it in the hyperdeck for play back?

We edit on two systems then we would like to use the hyperdeck for line-playout.

Any ideas?

Thank You!

OK I have now managed to create a file in Procoder 3 with audio and embedded timecode that work on the hyperdeck shuttle in DNnHD mode.

Settings for PAL lands are as follows: -

1080i50 185MBps
Millions +
Audio Encoder Linear PCM
Rate 48.000kHz
Render Settings Quality Normal
Sample size 16bits
Little Endian YES
Under the advanced settings select "Add timceode track with same format as source"

Bingo all works!

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I thought there might be some magic to this as well, but after some testing, i've found it not that difficult. The key may be more in your playback settings than anything else. If you want to playback a Prores 42HQ file, you have to set the hyperdeck studio to record that same format.

Since I figured that out, i have successfully created quicktimes in both Media Composer and Avid DS that playback on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro. Both DNXHD and ProRes422HQ. I was also told it had to have little Endian for the audio, but I don't think that was an option on the Media Composer. I think it does Big Endian, and it was working fine. Doing more testing today.

andreww

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:20 pm

You can check the audio codec used with movie inspector in QT and I think it might reveal little endian.

One gotcha I found was that multitrack audio just causes the audio to be mute, but stereo works OK.

Has anyone managed to get multitrack audio out?

Kduran818

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:45 am

I recently purchased the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2...and I love it. Still need to figure the audio completely, but I got it working to my satisfaction.

Here's what I know:

First off, make sure your SSD is fast, don't go cheap with anything less than a 6gig/sec transfer drive.

Secondly, via USB cable (wished that it came with one) update your firmware and set the player using the Hyperdeck Utility, for the format you prefer to do most of your playback, in my case Quicktime Pro Res HQ.

What you need to know about making your files, when you create a Pro Res file to copy onto the SSD, everything needs to be in the root directory, it can not be placed in a folder on the SDD. Also, whatever your file is on the top of the root directory of the SSD, that will dictate what frame rate your player will be in. In my case, 23.98... therefore I can not mix frame rate on the SSD card. Nor can I mix file format, I keep it all Pro Res 422HQ and everything is fine.

Audio is an issue, but I discovered that any video files you create for the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 must be uncompressed (Linear PCM) and in 48khz at 24bit for any stereo or Lt/Rt playback, anything else will not play, 16bit audio will not play. Multi-track audio is an issue, and I figure out a way to play it back, but I'm still working out the kinks. The only way so far, that I was able to get multi-track or 5.1 audio to come out of the Hyperdeck was creating a 16 channel multitrack file at 48khz at 24bit (it will not work if you have discrete tracks) and married it out with the video file using Compressor. This was the only way I was able to get more than four audio working out of the deck. If anyone else has an idea, please let me know.

Other than that, it's a very solid unit.

Cheers!

nhtech

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 am

is there any update on this? I have a Studio Pro unit and I can record fine with audio, however If i make a file in FCP for playback the video plays but audio will not come out. I have audio set as Linear PCM 48khz 24-bit 2 Channel Stereo(have also tried 2 Channel Mono) we have tried almost every option for audio on FCP and we have had no luck getting any audio. to play out of the unit.

The only thing that worked was playing the video out of the computer via an ultrastudio Express and HDSDI to the hyper deck and recording the video out that way, however doing this should be a work around as we have multiple editors making clips and to have to have them all come to the same room to transfer to a ssd one after another would be a waste of their time.

Anyone from BMD know of the answers to this question.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control
Video Hub Smart Control
H.264 Recorder
BMD UDC
BMD SyncGen

richard.turner10

PostMon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 pm

after much poking with stick

can seem to get reliable audio playback from files created in FCP7

ONLY

if in

"sequence settings"

general tab is 48k - 24 bit - CHANNEL GROUPED

audio output tab - DUAL MONO

then in QT7 movie properties shows 2 mono audio tracks

nickmuni

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 am

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this issue, but i found that you need to change the audio codec to uncompressed.

Return to Post Production