Resolve cache location wont change

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mark brindle

Resolve cache location wont change

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi

i installed Resolve Lite on a machine that had a volume called FAST. I have moved over to a newer machine and installed a new version of Resolve lite over the top of previous version that was 'migrated' and i no longer have a volume with that name on my new machine.

However, Resolve tries to write render cache files to volume FAST no matter what i do.
I have checked project settings and settings for Resolve and these do not contain any reference to volume FAST.
I did originally get 'failed to write' errors for volume FAST and it seems my MAC has decided to create me a folder called /Volumes/FAST on my system drive, which is worse as its the slowest drive in my system!

My GPU is doing 19fps so i probably dont need render cache but i don't want all these hidden files being created.

i have tried removing this folder i have restarted Resolve and reset the Media Storage folder settings multiple times to no avil.

Every new project i create tries to use this same Volume/FAST even though there is no reference to it.

Can i edit a file somewhere to get rid of it or should i remove Resolve completely and install it again ?
thanks

mark brindle

Re: Resolve cache location wont change

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Ive managed to fix this after going through every project and removing the correct and incorrect cache and gallery locations and saving. For some projects i had to do this multiple times to get the new locations to stick but its working now.

Dragonstone

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 pm

I have the same problem. But when I change the cache location it won't change. It will change for .gallery but not for CacheClip.
And I have the latest version of Resolve 15.1.1

Dragonstone

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am

I've tried changing the settings in all my projects. Deleting them, starting a new project, uninstalling the program reinstalling it, deleting the the cache folders, assigning them to other drives, deleting the Blackmagic folders in documents and Roaming folders. Nothing works! :(

Can anybody help please?

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 am

Yup, same problem. The old cache location is removed, replaced by a new one, but Resolve insists on writing to the old location.

It's clearly a bug.

(Resolve 15.1.2 on Windows.)
Last edited by Jason Tackaberry on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 am

I found a solution, but it's relatively advanced so not for the faint of heart ...

I noticed that if I created a new database, the new location was properly being used for cache.

I wanted to change my Resolve media storage location from F:\Data\Resolve to H:\Data\Resolve. Even after changing the media storage location in settings, I found a pile of stray references to the old location in my Resolve database directory. (I'm using the local database rather than postgres.)

So I just decided to brute-force a search-and-replace in my existing Resolve database directory.

This works on Windows using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). The same should work on Linux, and I assume Mac too.

Code: Select all
user@host:~$ sudo apt-get install sqlite3

user@host:~$ cd /mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve\ Disk\ Database/

user@host:/mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects$ find -name '*.xml' -exec grep -l 'F:\\Data\\Resolve' "{}" \; | xargs sed -i 's,F:\\Data\\Resolve,H:\\Data\\Resolve,'

user@host:/mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects$ find -name '*.db' -exec grep -l 'F:\\Data\\Resolve' "{}" \; | while read db; do sqlite3 "$db" "update SM_UserSetup set GalleryPath='H:\Data\Resolve\.gallery', CachePath='H:\Data\Resolve\CacheClip';"; done
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Buckwheat

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Short of re-writing code like the last poster has done is there any other solutions to this problem. Very frustrating having this not function like it should.

Dragonstone

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the late post. I found the solution some time ago but forgot to post.

The problem was that I didn't have assigned the drive my cache folder was in, the "Media Storage Locations" in the Preferences menu.

So you need to go to in the menu bar (on Windows) to "DaVinci Resolve > Preferences > Media Storage" and click on "Add" and add your drive either in as a root. Or point to the exact specific folder your custom cache folder is located.

But remember if you don't just add the drive as a root and point to a spesific folder. And afterwards you move your cache folder outside of that specific folder, but still in the same drive, you then need to "Add" that location again in the "Media Storage" tab.

And you only need to do this one time.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Attachments
screenshot 2.png
screenshot 2.png (57.74 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
screenshot 3.png
screenshot 3.png (80.61 KiB) Viewed 9460 times

Bayou Media

PostSat May 30, 2020 6:29 pm

I tried adding my cache storage locations to "Media Storage Locations", but Resolve would crash when I tried to change the clip cache location. I ended up modifying the SQLite3 database directly using SQLite Studio, which is a graphical front end for SQLite3. This is similar to the WSL solution above but can be done on one project at a time and doesn't require coding.

If you're not using PostGres SQL, Resolve creates a separate SQLite3 database file for each project. The file is named Project.db and is stored in the following folder structure, where <PROJECT NAME> is the name of the project.

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\<PROJECT NAME>\Project.db

Before modifying the database file directly, I strongly recommend backing it up first as you can lose you work if you're not careful. This can be done by making a copy of the file or using the "Export Project" option in Resolve. Also, make sure Resolve is not running before you open the database.

First, create folders for the cache locations you want to use on the file system (if they don't already exist). Resolve will not create the folders for you when using this method.

Using SQLite Studio (or any SQLite3 client), open the Project.db database and find the table named "SM_UserSetup", which will contain a single row of data. Update the GalleryPath and CachePath fields to your preferred cache locations, save the changes, and exit the client application. Restart Resolve, and the updated locations should be shown in the settings UI.

This worked for me. I had to resort to this hacked approach because I had projects to deliver and had me with no other choice no other choice. I'm hoping that this bug will be fixed soon so these kinds of things won't be necessary.

Return to DaVinci Resolve