Monitor now looses video sync after upgrade to Pro Tools 10

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

lhopkins

Monitor now looses video sync after upgrade to Pro Tools 10

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:32 pm

On a Mac Pro Tower, I'm running OSX 10.7.2 and a 3rd Dell HD monitor connected by HDMi to a blackmagic video card (system profiler says device ID is 0xa117.

On my first two monitors (Samsungs), I have the standard Pro Tools edit and mix interface pages.

I send the QT movie out the PCI bus on the 3rd monitor, a Dell monitor with a hdmi to the blackmagic PCI card.

I was using this system on Pro Tools 9 with no problems.

I upgraded to Pro Tools 10 and now whenever I drop any digital audio file into the edit page timeline (from either the workspace page or any Mac finder window), the QT movie goes black for about 5 seconds and then I see the HDMI icon flash and the video sync returns with the QT movie. There is no other video sync issue. It's only when I drop a file onto the timeline.

Oddly enough, when I import files file using the Netmix Pro app, there is no loss of video sync.

Obviously something has change between Pro Tools 9 and 10 that causes this.

I feel that this is either one of the following:

1. a blackmagic driver issue that needs to address changes in Pro Tools 10
2. a bug in Pro Tools 10
3. some strange settings in the Dell menu that needs to be turned off (I've tried this already)
4. some flaw in the implementation of HDMI somewhere in the signal path

I'm a Foley Artist and editor with MPEG in Hollywood. This issue is a minor inconvenience, but it slows my workflow down and is very annoying (of course).

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening?
Thanks,
L Hopkins

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Monitor now looses video sync after upgrade to Pro Tools

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 2:45 am

Just curious, do you have the same issue when you import audio (command+shift+i), rather than drag and drop?

I always found the drag and drop implementation in Pro Tools to be pretty sluggish - the whole interface would stop updating until it had completely some tasks (not sure what tasks). This is PT9HD by the way.. after 12+ years of Pro Tools i switched to reaper recently (i do music production rather than audio for film/video) so i never upgraded to PT10.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Post Production