BM Bi-Directional Micro Converter audio issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

robwood65

BM Bi-Directional Micro Converter audio issues

PostTue May 29, 2018 11:54 am

I have tried using the BiDirectional HDMI/SDI Micro Converter to convert an HDMI signal from my A7Sii to SDI.
Unfortunately the audio is distorted on the SDI output from the converter when the camera sends 1080i (interlaced) 50 to it.

Has anyone else had an issue with this box when feeding in HDMI 1080 50i?

I've tried using the 7.3 converter software but there's nothing to change/adjust with the audio settings.
To be clear the box works fine if I send 1080P 50 from the camera but the audio distorts if I send 1080i (interlaced) 50.
I need it to decode interlaced HDMI to SDI for use with a RadioCam system.

Many thanks for any advice.

Rob

mjehnichen

Re: BM Bi-Directional Micro Converter audio issues

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi Rob,
yes i am facing the same issue - but only on the right channel. It only happens in 1080i50 and with the bidirectional Microconverter hdmi to sdi on my Atem Television HD .When i use other converters (BMD hdmi to sdi) everything works fine. I have red another thread in this forum about it but obviously BMD does not change this behaviour. Did you find a solution other than buying another converter?

Koko Pudja

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 am

mjehnichen wrote:Hi Rob,
yes i am facing the same issue - but only on the right channel. It only happens in 1080i50 and with the bidirectional Microconverter hdmi to sdi on my Atem Television HD .When i use other converters (BMD hdmi to sdi) everything works fine. I have red another thread in this forum about it but obviously BMD does not change this behaviour. Did you find a solution other than buying another converter?

Exact same setup and same problem with me. Converting 1080i50 HDMI to SDI as an input to ATEM Television Studio HD and the audio is very much distorted. Sounds like 90% of the audio is static and noise. Have tested the HDMI output from the camera and it works fine, my shotgun mic and cable also fine.

Any solutions???

robwood65

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am

I started a support ticket back in August to try and get some clarity on this issue.
Yes I only get distortion on the right hand channel, the left is clear, and it only happens when sending 1080i50 from the camera, it's not just the A7Sii but also the Sony FS and FS7, they can't all have issues.

Here's what I got back from Blackmagic support.

------------------------------

Hello Robert,

Thanks for you patience on this matter.

The Devs have tested logged this as a bug and are discussing this with Sony on how to resolve this behaviour. It may be something that is fixed in future firmware versions, however I would not be able to put a timescale on how long this may take.

I hope this helps and will recontacting when I have more information on this matter.

Thanks,
Matthew Madeley
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design

---------------------------------

Nothing since then, I've sort of given up as I don't get the issue with other converters.

Glendora

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Interesting post and have the same problem.

Has there been a firmware update that resolves this audio issue.

There is no mention in the firmware updates since 2019 that indicate the problem is resolved. Hopefully a Blackmagic Support team member can provide some guidance. Cheers.

Kimani

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 11:58 am

Hi Y'all. Has anyone found a solution to this micro converter issue? Need some help please.

Emagine

PostFri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 am

I've just found this thread through search too as we're having the same issue with our Bi-Directional boxes.

HDMI 1080 50i converted to SDI and we have distorted audio on the SDI embedded audio output.

I have swapped out the converter for another manufacturers converter, using the same source and same recorder we have clean audio so it is definitely the Bi-Directional converter.

I have checked, and there has been no firmware update from BMD.

We need to get this sorted out

Dennis_uk

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 7:35 am

Exactly the same problem (distorted right channel) going from laptop to atem desk.

Bug's been there for 2+ years now, would be nice to get a fix!

Karel Holubička

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 1:12 pm

03/2021 and just discovered the issue ... still exists in SW version 7.4.1.
Upgraded to actual 7.5.1.. FIXED! Thanks BMD!

Return to Post Production