Upgrading Edit Suite

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bill_malott

Upgrading Edit Suite

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi there - I'm in the process of upgrading an edit suite and having a bit of trouble finding some, hopefully easy, information.

Basically - my budget allows me to get a quality monitor for color (Flanders), but that is relatively smaller in size and is only HD capable. In addition I'm adding a consumer grade (LG C8) 55" monitor for client view and to use as a UHD/4k monitor when needed.

I'm primarily going from a Mac trashcan running Premiere, AE, and Resolve - but also looking to incorporate the PC that's running Media Composer (and is connected to a larger network).

I'd like to be able to monitor both a 4k signal to the LG monitor via HDMI and a downconverted HD signal to the Flanders via HD/SDI. I've been looking at the BMD UltraStudio 4k - but it seems to only allow 1 output resolution at a time. Is there a product (perhaps the BMD UltraStudio Extreme?) where I can choose what resolution will playback on each output/monitor individually?

TIA
-Bill

Marc Wielage

Re: Upgrading Edit Suite

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:13 am

You could use the UltraStudio 4K in 4K, then use a second box like the Teranex to down-convert to HD. Be warned there is a delay in doing so.

I routinely run a lot of sessions entirely in HD and just let the C8 internally upscale it to 4K, and I'm fine with that. In some cases when we start rendering, I might switch everything to UHD and then look at it on the big display to judge sharpness, scaling, and noise-reduction issues that might be missed in HD.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production