Intensity Complications with FCX and FCP7

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
va-vid

Intensity Complications with FCX and FCP7

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 4:34 pm

I still have to use FCP7 for some plug ins and considering that FCX is not yet fully baked. I need to do monitoring and have an Intensity card for that. Since Intensity won't monitor FCX unless I'm on 10.7 Lion, and (I have learned elsewhere) since FCP7 won't do a new install on Lion or Mountain Lion, I am looking at a complicated mess. I'm thinking of doing the following:

1TB system drive with OSX 10.6.8 and FCP7 with a separate 1TB system drive with OSX 10.8 and FCX. Then, when I work on one, I'll install the drivers for the appropriate system so I can monitor in each version of Final Cut. FINALLY, THE QUESTION - Can the intensity card sit there and support either system which each have different driver software depending on which one is actively booted at the time?

Am I headed for trouble here?

bendermac

Re: Intensity Complications with FCX and FCP7

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 11:39 pm

va-vid wrote:I still have to use FCP7 for some plug ins and considering that FCX is not yet fully baked. I need to do monitoring and have an Intensity card for that. Since Intensity won't monitor FCX unless I'm on 10.7 Lion, and (I have learned elsewhere) since FCP7 won't do a new install on Lion or Mountain Lion, I am looking at a complicated mess.

this is false. final cut studio 3 will install on lion and mountain lion (update to the latest version before installing fcs3) just fine. i can personally confirm that it does on lion as i had a clean system installed a couple of weeks ago. for mountain lion it was confirmed working in fcp.co forum

as for no fully baked support of intensity cards in fcpx... what do you mean? it monitors out just fine. if you mean capture into fcpx, true... this doesn't work. but you don't really need that because media express does a really good job on that.

va-vid wrote:1TB system drive with OSX 10.6.8 and FCP7 with a separate 1TB system drive with OSX 10.8 and FCX. Then, when I work on one, I'll install the drivers for the appropriate system so I can monitor in each version of Final Cut. FINALLY, THE QUESTION - Can the intensity card sit there and support either system which each have different driver software depending on which one is actively booted at the time?

Am I headed for trouble here?

just try it out. it will either work on 10.6.8 or not.
i'd say it will work.

Return to Post Production