Audio distortion and Video dropped frames

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

JoannaD

Audio distortion and Video dropped frames

PostMon May 06, 2013 11:13 am

Hello!

We are a production and distribution company and we have recently bought a Teranex 2D to capture all our content from DigiBeta Tapes onto our brand new PC set up. We hooked up the Teranex to our Sony DigiBeta and HDCAM VTRs and bought a Blackmagic Video Hub. The PC is connected to the Teranex using a Thunderbolt cable.

We have captured around 115 hours of content so far, some using the Adobe Premiere CS6 Capture module, and most recently using the Blackmagic Media Express software. In both cases we have ticked the box for stopping the capture when a frame is dropped.

And in both cases, we have experienced dropped video and audio frames, and more often than not there's a distortion in the sound. However, in neither cases did the capture software stop the capture or log anything wrong with the capture.

You can check an example of what I'm talking about in the following link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zp4tkj3clak5li7

A few examples of the dropped audio/distorition:
00:05
00:14
00:16
00:19

And of the dropped video frames:
00:26
00:42
(Watch these before the designated times to see them properly)

We are using a custom built PC with the Intel® Desktop Board DZ77RE-75K which is recommended by Blackmagic.

We've done several capture tests using the same tape and the results came out as follows:
We tried to capture in the following resolutions:
576, 50 fps
720, 50 fps
1080, 50 fps
1080, 25 fps

And in the following compressions for each resolution:
Motion JPEG
8-bit YRB
10-bit YRB
10-bit RGB

Results:
All captures for all resolutions stopped due to a "dropped frame" when capturing uncompressed video & audio.

All captures for all resolutions continued without reporting a dropped frame when using Motion JPEG compression.

We are unsure as to where the problem lies. Can anyone help?

JoannaD

Re: Audio distortion and Video dropped frames

PostMon May 06, 2013 11:38 am

The driver version is: 9.7.1

Downloaded from here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... &sdk=false

JoannaD

RESOLVED: Audio distortion and Video dropped frames

PostTue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm

RESOLVED:
It turns out that the problem was that the Teranex is connected to the computer through a thunderbolt cable, and apparently there is still some problem with thunderbolt compatibility.

We bought the DeckLink Optical Fiber PCI and connected the Teranex to it through BNC cables which allowed us to get flawless captures.

At this moment in time (May 7th, 2013) no other solution seems viable.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello,

So I have a couple thoughts.

Firstly the issue you're having with Dropped Frames is probably normal you are not running a raid storage drive or at the very least running on a SSD. So going to MotionJPEG would solve the drop frame issue.

However it doesn't sound like your problem is related to dropped frames, but sounds like there seems to be some sort of issue between the hardware.

I've not tested the board you've mentioned in the thread, below is a note of the boards we have tested to work at this time (though we've got a few more incoming).

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... lse&os=win

That said, the boards that we have had good luck with are z77 chipsets as well so I would expect that it would work. So i've put a tech on a little bit of further testing. So he might reach out to you with further questions.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

JoannaD

PostFri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your reply, I just want to point out that we have already tried MotionJPEG, and while it doesn't drop any frames in the sense that the software stops the capture and tells us there's dropped frames, when you watch the video, you will notice the distortions in the sound and if you look closely (move frame by frame in premiere or VLC), you can notice some frames that repeat as I mentioned in my first post. You can check the link I put up to see exactly what I mean.

Thanks,

Joanna

Return to Post Production