Relinking Proxies to CinemaDNGs

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Til Strobl

Relinking Proxies to CinemaDNGs

PostWed May 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Hey folks,

I am currently facing a problem concerning the roundtrip from resolve to premiere and back with cinemadng files which I wasn't able to solve with the information found here or anywhere else.

I am loading all of my raw shots into resolve and export proxies with the Final-Cut Export setup (except for using small dnxhd as codec). I do the edit in Premiere CS6 and export an xml which I try to load back into resolve with 'Automatically import source clips into media pool' deselected but resolve fails to relink the media to the raw:
'The clip "xyz_1_2013-05-13_0824_C0001_756025.mov" failed to link because the media file "xyz_1_2013-05-13_0824_C0001_756025.mov" is missing.'
If I leave the import checkbox selected and ignore the file extensions the manually select the folder with the raw footage, it doesn't work as wall. Automatically importing the quicktimes works perfectly fine.

The roundtrip did work on early tests I did but I am not able to reproduce that now. I don't understand which method Resolve uses to relink the media. The source files eg. for this clip are starting with ../xyz_1_2013-05-13_0824_C0001/xyz_1_2013-05-13_0824_C0001_000000.dng . Perhaps the last number (756025) in the qt-filename is causing the problem - I wonder why resolve adds it and what it stands for. I also tried to get rid of the number so that the filenames are matching except the frame number but this didn't help either.

I think the manual is not very helpful concerning this issue for it doesn't give any information about the relinking process especially in which case one clip is relinked to another or why it might fail.

Thanks in advance for anything that might help.

Til Strobl

Re: Relinking Proxies to CinemaDNGs

PostThu May 09, 2013 12:30 pm

I am experimenting with the Assist using Reel Names function but resolve won't relink the files.

I am using */%R_* as file pattern, so the Reel Name of the DNG-sequence and its proxy is identical, but still they won't be relinked. Also, the automatic import of the proxies fails now, as long as i don't add the Reel ("Tape") Name in Premiere manually.

Is there any clear and precise information about in which case resolve does relink a clip and in which case not?

Til Strobl

PostSun May 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Anyone?

blueabacas

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm having the same issue relinking to CinemaDNG proxies that I've edited in Premiere CS6. When I import back into Resolve I get a similar failed to link because the media file is missing. I've tried editing the .xml file by hand to see if I can match the name or file id, but I can't figure out yet what Resolve is looking for to link the proxies back to the original CinemaDNGs. Anyone figure this out yet or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 pm

What frame rate are the files?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

blueabacas

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am

They are at frame rate of 23.976. I set the Resolve project settings to 23.976 and the Premiere CS6 project is also at the same frame rate. One other note is that I get the error message for just one file and then after I close the error window the time line loads all the edits, but it is just using the same clip for all the edits.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Have a look at these 2 links, and see if there is anything different you might be doing.

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013 ... -workflow/
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

blueabacas

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks! Yes, I've seen those workflows. I got it to work by using the reel names and re-exporting the proxies.

Thanks again!

Steven Williams

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Help!

As of resolve 10, I have been unable to re-link Proxys made in resolve, Edited in Premiere CC with the Original DNGs in resolve.

Using the nofilmschool.com/2013/09/tutorial-canon-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern-raw-offline-online/

all was good in 9 - now when I import the Edited XML (or EDL) from Premiere to resolve, I get an error: 'timecode extents failed to link'

I have tried unchecking the Resolve option to 'use unique File names' when exporting the proxies (appends 'V1-000_' to the front of the proxy) - the result was the same.

I can see that resolve has the Correct Reel Names for the DNGS - and they match the Names of the DNG Folders, and the Proxies I render out.

Pulling my hair out!

I'm on a mac using Premiere CC 7.1.0
Resolve Lite v10
Mac OSX 10.8.5

blueabacas: Could you expand on what settings you used?

Many thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2013-11-16 09.27.40.png
Screenshot 2013-11-16 09.27.40.png (556.13 KiB) Viewed 16137 times

Steven Williams

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 10:15 pm

blueabacas wrote:Thanks! Yes, I've seen those workflows. I got it to work by using the reel names and re-exporting the proxies.

Thanks again!

Please explain!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Steven Williams

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 am

I can confirm that the problem is with the XML export from Premiere Pro 7.1.0

1.Create Quicktime Prores Proxies from DNGS created with Raw Magic via 5DIII
2. Using Premiere CS6, edit my Resolve generated DNG proxies
3. FCP EXPORT .XML
4. Opens perfectly in Resolve. The Original DNGs are re-linked. All is good.

The same thing with Premiere CC 7.1.0
Opening XML in resolve gives me 'Fail; to Link Because timecode extends do not match'

world of pain - I can't manually relink 100's of DNG in resolve.

Something is broken.

Could anyone please test with Premiere CC 7.1.0 & Resolve 10

I have attached the 'good' and 'bad' XML's. Don't really know what I'm looking for - any help appreciated!

Thank you!
Attachments
premiere export Problems.zip
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

Steven Williams

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 am

FCP EXPORT Missing Reel Names with PP 7.10..zip
(243.27 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

SOLVED!

I can see that the problem is with premiere CC 7.1.0 - the XML export does not include a <REEL> name/
With premiere CS6 it does, and Resolve relinks it perfectly.

In the conform Options -I've changed the Pattern to: */%

I guess this ignores the missing Reel names and uses 'real' name, then link back to REEL NAME in media Pool

It now works :D :D :D :D

PHEW!!!
Attachments
Screenshot 2013-11-18 09.54.53.png
Screenshot 2013-11-18 09.54.53.png (220.83 KiB) Viewed 16097 times

Roman Medvid

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:15 pm

blabberlicious, that helped me too. THNX!!!

Aria Elf

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm

I wish this worked for me :( I tried using */% as well as */%D or */%R and any other combination I could think of. The only one that gave me something in the Reel field in Resolve was */%R/%D, anything else left the Reel field blank.

I'm able to load my proxies into Premiere CC with Reel names converted to Tape names just fine (so long as I use higher quality proxies like DNxDH mov's, not H264 mov's which lack the metadata) but when exporting an XML file back out of Premiere CC for Resolve, Premiere fails to include reel/tape names in the XML. This bug has been confirmed with Adobe (or so I've heard) and they've known about it since 2013.... very frustrating.

Not sure what a decent workaround would be... revert back to Premiere CS 6.5 (where reel/tape numbers exported in XMLs as they should), relink all clips individually in Resolve by name by force conform (impractical for a feature film) or some sort of hack/edit in the XML file itself to add the reel/tape names??

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Was this fixed with later versions of premier?

Benjamin de Menil

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm using resolve 12.5 and when encoding DNxHR I don't see where to specify reel name.

Also, if the proxies have already been encoded without reel names, is there a way of updating them with reel names, or of linking to the raw files without reel names?

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm still stuck on this and would greatly appreciate any help.

I tried checking "Assist using reel names from the: Source clip " before exporting proxies, but i still am not able to relink from proxies to the original raw files.

Erik Parys

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 am

Hi,
I've had the same issue and have been unable to solve it within Resolve.

However an alternative method which works for me, is to relink the dngs within premiere before exporting to xml. Resolve will then import the edit with the DNG's already referenced.

Depending on the complexity of your project this may be a bit of a hassle as you will need to point every clip individually to its new location. So it's far from automagical, but at least it works!

Regardless, if anyone knows of a best practice workflow to keep this process within Resolve with just a few clicks (it does seems that that's how it's supposed to work) I'd be very happy to hear about it for my next project :)

cheers,
E.M.

Return to Post Production