2k export leaving windowboxed image

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Nick Vega

2k export leaving windowboxed image

PostThu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm

When I go to Davinci to export a film (shot 2.5k) at the 2k preset version, I end up with a video that when made full screen or posted online, it becomes a windowboxed image. I have letterboxing as well as side bars.

However, exporting the same film at 2.5k and using the 1920X1080 preset, the exported result has no boxing and the image covers the entire screen when full screen.

Is there something wrong I am doing with the 2k export, or is this standard?
http://vimeo.com/nickvega

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: 2k export leaving windowboxed image

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:43 pm

the way I will approach is:

1) setup your main timeline at the resolution you want your final delivery (2.5k)
2) do not scale in input (pixel to pixel mappiing) I'm assuming RED/Alexa?
3) for color/viewing setup your display resolution to 1920x1080 -> scaling appropriately to view
4) when ready to export, setup your final viewing resolution as to match timeline -> no scaling (pixel to pixel again and render. it might looking wrong in teh monitor (it will show a portion of it) but is correct on the file.

In this way all the DVE transformations will be explicit and there is no surprised...

w.

Edit: if you want a 2K export (from a 2.5 timeline) you have to decide if you need to "crop" it or "box" it in.

Which is the viewing aspect ratio? 2.39 or 1.85 (for theatrical) and which is the original source canvas? (so I can show the math...)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 1:23 am

The footage Im using is straight off the BMC at 2.5k raw.

1) Since my final delivery will be 2k or 1080HD, should i be setting the timeline accordingly, including putting the 2.5k into the 2k?
2) Should I be using center crop with resizing instead of scale image to fit? I dont see pixel to pixel mapping anywhere in the image scaling config menu.
3) Covered.
4)Alright.

Going to give it another go now and see if the scaling was the issue (had it set to scale entire image to fit.)

Edit: if you want a 2K export (from a 2.5 timeline) you have to decide if you need to "crop" it or "box" it in.

Via image scaling config menu?

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 1:33 am

Same thing happened.

This time around, settings are:
Project/Timeline settings at 2K film (2048X1556). Ive also tried custom 2400X1350.
Image scaling to center crop with no resizing (also tried scale image to fit).
Dropped in a 2.5k clip for export.
Final viewing monitor at 2k resolution.
Exported as 2k film (still the same resolution).

Rendered video is still window boxed when full screened. Its even windowboxed when Im watching it render.
If exported as 1080, I get a full screen image, as well as when I watch it render.

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 1:44 am

Heres two images showing the Deliver page and the boxing:

Heres the first with the project timeline set to 1080 with no boxing of any kind:

And the same clip with project settings at 2k window boxed that will also show after the render:

Wether the settings at 2K 1080 or full 2K, the boxing is still occurring.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2013 2:00 am

Try turning on, View, Safe Area, Extents... now you can set the aspect ratio and see the normal aspect ratios and image extents... adjust your timeline resolution and scaling to suit.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 3:22 am

Hey Peter,

Both Safe Areas and Select Aspect Ratio are greyed out for me. Is there a setting that locks these up? Ive tried changing them in the Media/Conform/Color/Deliver page, but everything remains greyed out. Also tried a fresh timeline.

Extents is checked, and aspect ratio is locked in at 1.85 in my settings.

Everything is fine on a 1080 or 2.5k export, but this 2k export is throwing me in a loop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2013 4:24 am

Based on your screen shot, you have not turned on the Master on/off.
The safe area markers are shown in color and deliver page.

You say 2K export is not as you expect, but I wonder what monitor you are using to should the 2K?

Also, you may find the option, Project Settings, General Options, UI Settings,"Grey background..." helpful.
Peter

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 4:59 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Based on your screen shot, you have not turned on the Master on/off.
The safe area markers are shown in color and deliver page.

You say 2K export is not as you expect, but I wonder what monitor you are using to should the 2K?

Also, you may find the option, Project Settings, General Options, UI Settings,"Grey background..." helpful.
Peter

Alright, Master is on with extents and I've tried two different exports using two different aspect ratios (1.66 and 1.85) but the pillar boxing still occurs. The letter boxing no longer happens, though.

Ive attached some screens which stills show pillar boxing on the deliver page and how the final product looks full screen:

Im using an apple 27" cinema display set to 2560 X 1440 to view the footage. Safe areas are clear of pillarboxing but the export is leaving me a little frustrated. Thank you for the help.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2013 7:20 am

In this example, what is your timeline res. when you view the rendered clip in resolve on the media page, do u see the same issue?
Peter

Nick Vega

PostFri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

My timeline was set to 2400 X 1350 in the previous example (made it match the raw footage).

Everything looks fine in the different pages, but once I set the output resolution to 2k and hit render, the pillarboxing immediately shows up and stays there until the render completes. After that, the bars disappear again and Im left with the original image.

When viewing the same clip just rendered back in the resolve media page, the pillarboxing still shows. It is cropping my sides out for some reason.

Also, setting the timeline to 2k resolution brings in the issue as well. Setting it to 2400 X 1350 gives me the full image, as does the 1080p setting.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat May 11, 2013 3:24 am

So when you render using the 2k setting, it's that res and therefore aspect ratio. Set your render res to match the timeline and check.
Peter

Nick Vega

PostSat May 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Ive set the render res to match the 2.5k original timeline resolution and i dont get any errors on the export. The different aspect ratios I choose doesnt seem to affect the image either, I still get the whole entire image and the extents of the aspect ratio seem to be completely ignored.

Ive attached two screens showing a clip exported (timeline set to 2400 X 1350) to an output resolution of the same as the time line (2400 X 1350) with an aspect ratio of 2.35. The aspect ratio doesnt appear to make any sort difference. It also shows the greyed out options of aspect in the deliver page (it works on the color page, though). Notice the extents and the final image. Nothing was changed on the export.

Im still kinda new to Resolve so I dont know if there is a setting I am missing, but I feel like something isnt right. Does Davinci crop the outside of the extents to render the aspect ratio I choose, or is it merely there as a title/area safe reference?

Also, heres the same clip (2400 X 1350) set on a 2K time line. Again, the letter boxing shows up, with greyed pillar boxing that will also be rendered into the video (not sure why), even though they arnt part of the extent.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun May 12, 2013 2:48 am

The extent and safe area markers are for reference. They don't define the render res or aspect ratio. It looks like Resolve is working as it should.
Peter

Nick Vega

PostSun May 12, 2013 6:02 am

I just don't understand why the 2k export causes pillar boxing (and why it's cropping my sides out ) when I've never seen pilar boxing on any 2k film.

Will I not be able to deliver any film at 2k finish? Because the final product is just not right, at all.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun May 12, 2013 2:12 pm

If you want to deliver 2048x1080, a DCI-2k, you need to render in that format, and size and position your oversize source image to fit. Set your timeline res to that spec and your input scaling to resize and then pan and zoom for artistic needs.
Peter

Return to Post Production