(solved) Masks disappeared - how to make them visible again?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Swahn_Kung

(solved) Masks disappeared - how to make them visible again?

PostTue May 14, 2013 7:25 am

For some strange reason mask controls in Resolve 9 just disappeared from the power window. I can see the effects of the masks being applied, but not the GUI lines on top of the footage.

If I create a new project they will appear, but not in older projects. Is this a setting? A bug? How can I toggle them back?

It's the yellow and cyan mask outlines I'm talking about that is hidden for some reason.
Last edited by Swahn_Kung on Wed May 15, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

Re: Masks disappeared - how to make them visible again?

PostTue May 14, 2013 10:08 am

A screenshot of a project it's affected would be nice, but I suspect the button underneath the viewer at the left hand end needs its selected option changing. The screenshot you've chosen shows the correct one.

Swahn_Kung

PostTue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Yes, the screenshot is just something I picked from the net just to show you the mask controls. But these lines does not appear even if I choose the power window mode.

John Tissavary

PostTue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Have a look in the Resolve manual (or keyboard shortcuts) at 'view > window outline'

I know it's not the most intuitive labeling, but that's how you toggle the power window outlines on and off.

John T.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

Paul Provost

PostTue May 14, 2013 6:38 pm

sometimes choosing another window shape on that node and toggling that on and off brings them back
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 15, 2013 12:03 am

What John said. In 9.0.4 and higher, the keyboard shortcut to change modes is <Option> <h>.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Paul Provost

PostWed May 15, 2013 12:52 am

I have existing shape outlines dissapear sometimes when set to ui only and toggling show shapes on and off does not fix it. I have to toggle a different unused shape on and off on that clip to get the outline of the shape I had already created to display again. This has been on 9.1.1 and 9.1.3
Last edited by Paul Provost on Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Swahn_Kung

PostWed May 15, 2013 7:58 am

Thank you guys!
Yes, what John Tissavary suggested fixed this "issue". Problem solved. Thank you :mrgreen:

Filip_M

Re: (solved) Masks disappeared - how to make them visible ag

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 am

I have the problem as listed in DaVinci Resolve 10.1.0lite.
Switching on and off the window outline doesn't help.
Only thing i found is working is restart of Resolve.

Aria Elf

PostMon Mar 09, 2015 11:55 pm

I found this via Google when I had the same problem, and the View > Window Outline > On - solution didn't work for me either. I found the hidden setting though, and I'm sharing a screencap for others who might run into this annoying situation.

In your monitor window there is a drop down menu from a small button, and you have to select that your power window interface be visible by choosing the third one down. Not exactly "intuitive"... but that's the price we pay for learning Resolve ;)

Cheers,

~Aria
Attachments
power window.jpg
screen cap
power window.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 17182 times

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 10, 2015 3:45 pm

I still have this happen and the above setting doesn't help. Often have to switch to another clip and back or as I said activate a different shape and turn it off again. This has be going on from ver 9-11 now?
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

TIPOMAC

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 am

Yes, I have the exact same problem and so far noting that was suggested in this post worked. I am using Resolve 11.3 and this problem still exists!? It is an obvious bug yet it was not remedied ever since it occurred in the first place. Pretty annoying especially after long hours of manual tracking and manual power window shaping. Suddenly the damn window simply disappears and there is nothing can be done to bring it back. Many hours of work is now lost because of this stupid glitch. Professional software, eh? I am very disappointed! :(

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 2:08 am

If I have a keyboard handy, I just pound option-H until the window appears. It works as long as you're in the Window Outline mode. I have yet to encounter a situation where the window won't appear.

What I'm working on is a macro to select Window Outline and then hit option-H. Tricky.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 4:56 pm

I've been having the same issue. I will try the option-h and see if it works. Thanks for the tip!
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Pierre Bellefeuille

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I had the same problem.

To solve it I just switched back and forth from Color page to Edit page and back on the Color page. My Power Window controls came back just from switching from the pages. It looks to me that this problem is related to some kind of refresh function of the elements inside the Color page.

Pierre Bellefeuille

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Choosing another shape mask into the window where the masks are located into the Color window solved the problem.

Pierre Bellefeuille

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 am

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.11.20 PM.png
The timeline-node option.
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.11.20 PM.png (672.21 KiB) Viewed 13848 times
Another thing not to forget. Let's say somebody created a mask with a timeline-node instead of a clip-node. We know that the timeline-node will affect all the clips. So, if anybody wants to see the effect of the mask, their we should make sure that the nodes where the mask is applied is displaying « Timline », this way the Power Window will show the control and the real time changes made to it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve