Advice needed .. Thinking of buying DeckLink Mini

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Boscom

Advice needed .. Thinking of buying DeckLink Mini

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am

I'm putting together my first (budget) desktop PC for editing up to 4K, so forgive me for a very basic query.

My plan is to use a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K to give me a 10bit output for a Asus PA279Q 27-inch IPS Professional Monitor.

I will also have a GeForce RTX 2070 in the system to help Resolves performance and may in the future run a second monitor off it. Currently I dont really have the space for 2 monitors or the need.

My question is - as the Asus will be my one and only monitor, will I always get 10 bit output from the Decklink, regardless of what program I'm using ? ...I'll also be using Photoshop and Lightroom as well as Resolve.

Thanks.

MishaEngel

Re: Advice needed .. Thinking of buying DeckLink Mini

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Boscom wrote:I'm putting together my first (budget) desktop PC for editing up to 4K, so forgive me for a very basic query.

My plan is to use a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K to give me a 10bit output for a Asus PA279Q 27-inch IPS Professional Monitor.

I will also have a GeForce RTX 2070 in the system to help Resolves performance and may in the future run a second monitor off it. Currently I dont really have the space for 2 monitors or the need.

My question is - as the Asus will be my one and only monitor, will I always get 10 bit output from the Decklink, regardless of what program I'm using ? ...I'll also be using Photoshop and Lightroom as well as Resolve.

Thanks.

When this will be you're first effort to build a 4k editing workstation don't fix on brands like NVidia, intel or AMD.

Just look at what is best for your needs(codec, resolution, fps, etc...) with your budget.
I advise you to have 2 monitors, 1 for editing and one for color correction.
The editing monitor is hooked up to the video card (8 bits only in Resolve) and the other monitor is hooked up to the declink card. The decklink cards works with a lot of software to produce 10 bits color (just look at the BMD-website).

AMD is having it's key-note today at CES and that might save you a lot of money.

Return to Post Production