Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to LG OLED

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ScottH

Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to LG OLED

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 am

Hi,

Apologises if this question has been asked a thousand times before but I just bought a new LG OLED C8 as a client monitor and I'm not having any luck sending it a HDMI signal through the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.

•Mini Monitor works perfectly fine when connected to BenQ 4k display.
•Checked HDMI cables and ports on LG OLED by connecting it to iMac and using it as a second display.

Anyone out there had the same issue and figured out a fix?

Cheers

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to LG OLED

PostFri Mar 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Buy cheap HDMI splitter and insert into chain- it may solve it. BM cards are prone to issues with HDMI protocol. Many reports even on this forum.

ScottH

PostFri Mar 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Amazing, it worked!

The Mini Monitor now sends a signal to the LG OLED without issue.

Cheers!

Soundmixdude

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 am

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. No picture on my LG 65c8 television. The TV does say there is something connected but doesn't show the any video. I tried the El Cheap splitter and different HDMI cables. Unfortunately no results here. What kind of splitter did you use?

Danny

Soundmixdude

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Problem solved. Indeed a (powered) splitter does the trick.

Arvids Baranovs

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 5:03 pm

What kind of splitter did you get? By checking ebay all I can find are 1080p splitters. Meaning - they take 4K in, but spit out 2x1080p, which is no good for the LG OLED.
Arvids
Eaglewood Pictures

John Paines

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 1:20 pm

You can find 4K splitters at many commercial sites, but is this a digital rights issue, or is there some other known reason the LG OLEDs won't work with the mini monitors?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 5:10 pm

If this would be digital rights issue none of the BM cards would work, which is not the case. Some work, others don't. It's all down to flaky BM HDMI implementation. Add active splitter and problem sorted. It's clearly some signalling issue. I have not seen any other HDMI pro device which would have such a compatibility issue.

stvrobles

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi.

I have a C9 and having the same problem. I bought a power Splitter and still not working. can someone tell me which one works? or maybe the specifics of what i need for it to work?

Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:27 am

Maybe try HDMI Doctor from HDFury. You can then also set different HDR metadata.
It has to be a splitter which proviedes new EDID.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Just got a C9 myself, and experiencing the same issue with the Decklink Mini Monitor (PCIe version). Which "cheap" active HDMI splitter is everyone using that allows these cards to work with the LG?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

John Paines

PostWed May 20, 2020 8:30 pm

Sorry, can't advise you, but out of self-interested curiosity, did you try Resolve's clean feed option, at least as a stopgap until you sort out the splitter?

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 11:36 pm

Just an update to this:

I previously recommended this HDMI splitter, which does successfully allow the Mini Monitor video feed to show up on the LG:

However I discovered that this unit apparently does not pass audio through to the LG TV. I tested it on a CX and a C9, and could not get any sound through this box when fed by the Mini Monitor box.

I finally got everything to work by feeding the Mini Monitor SDI output to an AJA Hi5 box, then sending the RCA audio outputs of the Hi5 to my audio mixer. The HDMI output of the Hi5 then goes to the LG.

Another much cheaper device that I successfully tested was this $25 J-Tech HDMI audio extractor, which functions exactly like the AJA Hi5, except that it takes an HDMI input, instead of SDI.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 am

That's very helpful info, Mel!
The Hi5 is a pretty expensive bandaid for something that should work out of the box.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That's very helpful info, Mel!
The Hi5 is a pretty expensive bandaid for something that should work out of the box.

I couldn't agree more! Luckily we had a Hi5 sitting on the shelf that we haven't used in probably 8 years, so I'm glad we can put it to use again. Thankfully the J-Tech HDMI extractor works just as good as the Hi5 (albeit with no SDI input), but I'm almost less annoyed with the cost of the additional gear I had to buy just to make the original gear work, than I am with the fact that I had to buy additional gear just to make the original gear work...and didn't learn this fact until after I spent hours of annoying troubleshooting!

Return to Post Production