Alt SDI switching time of Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

untoha

Alt SDI switching time of Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 3:26 am

Hey, folks! Does anybody know, how long does it take for Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G to switch from main SDI input to Alt one? Considering both inputs are 1080p60 if it matters.

And another question - will it switch back to main input automatically when it will be back up again?

untoha

Re: Alt SDI switching time of Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Ok, so now I can reply to myself.
It takes seconds to switch from main to alt input. I didn't measure it exactly, but it looks like more than 1s, but less than 2.5s.
And no, it won't switch back to main input.

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Weird that it does not switch back. This is why you want a ALT / Backup sdi line..

I guess the switch will happen as soon the signal lock is lost on the main input. But the problem is that if both sources are not in sync with eachother, the converter needs to get in sync again with the new signal, then get in sync again with the HDMI monitor.. This all takes times. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

untoha

PostWed May 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Well, I've been thinking about switching back and forth. And now I believe that it really shouldn't switch back automatically. If our main signal line went down, or even worse - went blinking - the last what I'd want in my workflow is a converter randomly switching here and there. So, since it switched to backup - let it be backup then.

As for the switching time - I understand, it's not a fancy failover with frame accurate switching, but both my signals went from one switcher. It was PGM and AUX. Supposed to be synced. Well, anyway, I don't mind that switching time.

Return to Post Production