How to Crop Stills to Match Aspect Ratio of Video Clips

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MRomine

How to Crop Stills to Match Aspect Ratio of Video Clips

PostFri May 10, 2019 1:57 am

Is there a way to set a crop tool to crop stills to the same aspect ratio of your video clips?

Matthias Jakumeit

Re: How to Crop Stills to Match Aspect Ratio of Video Clips

PostFri May 10, 2019 3:22 pm

I think this is not quite the correct forum for the question. Probably you will also be able to easily google an answer.

One option:
If you have access to Adobe Photoshop, just create a new file in your desired aspect ratio.
A typical resolution with a video aspect ratio (Full HD 16:9) would be for example 1920x1080 pixels.

Then you open your photo and copy the photo layer into your new file. Just position the photo and save it. It will then have a 16:9 format, like a Full HD video.

MRomine

PostFri May 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Matthias Jakumeit wrote:I think this is not quite the correct forum for the question. Probably you will also be able to easily google an answer.

One option:
If you have access to Adobe Photoshop, just create a new file in your desired aspect ratio.
A typical resolution with a video aspect ratio (Full HD 16:9) would be for example 1920x1080 pixels.

Then you open your photo and copy the photo layer into your new file. Just position the photo and save it. It will then have a 16:9 format, like a Full HD video.

I tried the Google thing and also on YouTube s well as the manual but I was not finding what I needed. I thought about cropping before importing and I know that would work I but I was hoping there was a shorter path to what I needed.

thanks

Peter Cave

PostFri May 17, 2019 2:19 am

You could also make a compound clip from each still at the required aspect and rescale the still inside to the size & position you need. Personally, I would do it all in Photoshop because the edit is MUCH easier without compound clips to deal with. If all the images are the same dimensions, you can batch process in Photoshop. I think it's easier, faster and smoother to reformat stills in Photoshop.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to Post Production