Decklink 8K connector mapping

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rallymatt

Decklink 8K connector mapping

PostTue May 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Having a heck of a time mapping connectors on the Decklink 8K card. Latest firmware that enables the 4 in/outs.

I'm trying to enable 2 outputs with key/fill. So using 4 connectors, but 2 channels on the card.

I can get it to work perfectly for one output with Desktop Video set too

Decklink 8k Pro (1) SDI 1&2 in, SDI 3&4 out.

That gives me key/fill on connectors 3 and 4, and sometimes I do believe inputs on 1/2 work. Although that's not what I'm after.

When I configure the card how I think it should be for 2 sets of outputs. I can only get it to work with audio echo, and clicking, and weird stuff. Almost like it's mixing up in/out except all the outputs are outputting video as expected.

Does anyone have any idea on how to configure the 8K pro to be effectively 2 outputs with 2 connectors each? Something like

Decklink 8k Pro (1) SDI 1&2 Out
Decklink 8K Pro (2) SDI 3&4 Out.

Which isn't an option.

Xtreemtec

Re: Decklink 8K connector mapping

PostTue May 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Ah i'm glad i'm not the only one confused with the connector Mapping on the 8K pro. :lol:

It does not help that there is no visual indication on what connector is what number, Also no mentioning in the manual about what connector is which link..

I now sometimes open up Desktop Video Set all to SDI In and plug a 3G signal in.. And check the App which input shows some resolution. :|

But for outputs it's a bit more difficult as settings can be wrong, Software not enabled yet to output.. etc..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu May 23, 2019 1:39 am

If the DeckLink 8K card works like the DeckLink Duo 2, each of the connectors can be set to full duplex (two connectors for a subdevice) or half duplex (one connector for a subdevice).

DeckLink cards support two types of keying:
  • Internal which uses one SDI port as an input, overlays a key on the input video signal, sends it out over a second SDI port as an output.
  • External which outputs a fill signal on one SDI port and a key signal on a second SDI port.
Both types of keying require two SDI connectors which mean they require a full duplex subdevice on the DeckLink card. Usually this means configuring each subdevice to use two connectors, one each for in and out (full duplex mode).

When the software you are using to generate the key signal initializes the keyer on the DeckLink subdevice, it will configure the subdevice for either internal or external keying. For internal keying, this means the two connectors assigned to the subdevice will be one input (first connector), one output (second connector). For external keying, this means the two connectors assigned to the subdevice will be fill output (first connector), key output (second connector).

The key point to keep in mind is that when the keying software enables the DeckLink keyer (in either internal or external mode), it may change how the SDI connectors assigned to the subdevice are used, but it does not automatically change which connectors are assigned to the subdevice, or whether the subdevice is configured for full duplex mode. So you usually need to make sure that each DeckLink subdevice is configured to use two connectors (in full duplex mode) in the Desktop Video setup utility first.

I'm guessing that if you configure the DeckLink 8K Pro as:
Decklink 8k Pro (1) SDI 1&2 in, SDI 3&4 out
You end up with 1 full duplex sub-device, where the single subdevice uses two connectors each for input and output (mostly intended for dual link SDI applications).

Cooper

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 4:39 pm

yeah as mentioned BM software doesnt support the port mapping for individual in and out.. yet? only thing working seems to be the primary in and primary out aka 3rd and 4th port when using BM software... I havent tested the beta. If i remember right some software did add the support, but cant remember the name of it. So waiting for blackmagic to add the options the BM youtube video advertised for 8k pro into davinci etc.
that went somethinh like this...
any port can be used as in or out at the same time on the decklink 8k pro, aka 4 different streams in or out or any lesser setup.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 1:35 am

Just following up on this as I eventually hand a chance to test this on a DeckLink 8K Pro card. In order to get two channels of keying (with key and fill output) from the card, the following configuration that seems to do the trick:
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (1): SDI 1 In, SDI 2 Out
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (2): SDI 3 In, SDI 4 Out
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (3): None
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (4): None
This configures the card for 2 full-duplex sub-devices. When enabled for external keying, the first sub-device (SDI connectors 1 & 2) are used to output fill and key for channel 1. The second sub-device (SDI Connectors 3 & 4) are used to output fill and key for channel 2.

For me, the second connector in each pair had the fill output and the first connector had the key signal. So the connector output signals looked like this
  • SDI connector 1: Channel 1 key
  • SDI connector 2: Channel 1 fill
  • SDI connector 3: Channel 2 key
  • SDI connector 4: Channel 2 fill
The SDI connector closest to the Reference Input was SDI 1.

EvanAnthony

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi, Is it possible to have more then 2 SDI out's?
I can get two going no problem but can't figure out a way to get SDI 3 and or 4 also send out a signal?

Dazzer

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 8:11 pm

No dedicated manual, no explanation in the docs specific to this card, no diagram telling you which connector is which SDI, no way to default reset the Desktop Video Setup app, no tool-tips in the app to guide you, no youtube film to aide set-up, what a disaster of a product.

McGrath

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:27 pm

So I used the configuration as described above.

(with key and fill output) from the card, the following configuration that seems to do the trick:
DeckLink 8K Pro (1): SDI 1 In, SDI 2 Out
DeckLink 8K Pro (2): SDI 3 In, SDI 4 Out
DeckLink 8K Pro (3): None
DeckLink 8K Pro (4): None

And was able to get the Key and fill working on the connectors 1 & 2 but I am trying to bring live video back into ProPresenter 7 on Connector 3 and the video is choppy and jerky unless I disable the key and fill. Any suggestions on a solution? Thanks.

McGrath

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 5:56 pm

So it is our understanding this is due to a hardware limitation on the Decklink 8k Pro and/or the available connector settings available through the Desktop Video 12.0.

One would think this card would have been just as good as the Decklink Duo 2 but it does not appear to work as well with Propresenter. Any solutions coming from Black Magic?

McGrath

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 10:45 am

The upgrade from Desktop Video 12.0 to 12.1 did actually fix the delayed video input to PP7 while using the alpha key.

The upgrade did make the 8k pro card unrecognizable but after uninstalling the card and moving it to another PCI slot everything worked great.

nottooloud

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 3:58 pm

Is there a setup manual for this thing yet? I want to run 4 SDI in, having no luck.

Return to Post Production