ACES Grade

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fred Trevino

ACES Grade

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had experience using ACES when grading. I've heard it's a superior color space yet by default Resolve is in Resolve YRGB. Should I be grading everything in ACES? And if not, when should it be used??? Thanks!
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Chris_Martin

Re: ACES Grade

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 am

Below is a link MPAS link to their ACES overview. Good jumping off point to get your feet wet. As to should you be grading in ACES? Think of ACES right now as akin to going on a road trip without all the roads having been made yet. The people and facilities woking in ACES right now are essentially building the roads and making the maps to follow. They'd be the first to tell you don't work in ACES "just because."

http://www.oscars.org/science-technolog ... erview.pdf
Chris Martin
Senior Colorist
Spy Post, San Francisco
A FotoKem Company

Fred Trevino

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

cmart400 wrote:Below is a link MPAS link to their ACES overview. Good jumping off point to get your feet wet. As to should you be grading in ACES? Think of ACES right now as akin to going on a road trip without all the roads having been made yet. The people and facilities woking in ACES right now are essentially building the roads and making the maps to follow. They'd be the first to tell you don't work in ACES "just because."

http://www.oscars.org/science-technolog ... erview.pdf

Thanks! Very helpful.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 pm

FTColorist wrote:Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had experience using ACES when grading. I've heard it's a superior color space yet by default Resolve is in Resolve YRGB. Should I be grading everything in ACES? And if not, when should it be used??? Thanks!

Superior respect to what? is the real question.

ACES can hold all the other color spaces and is in linear light or scene referred. is supposed to represent the scene, not the device that capture it.

Do I like it? Yes. As long as the transformations in and out are correct you can use it.

In the other end, if you only have one camera/display device you can work as usual with the help of a LUT. At the end of the day, Resolve (like any color corrector) will convert on the fly the result to your display through LUTs and internal math.

[Aces file]->[convert to LogACES]->[ your colour here]->[convert from LogAces]->[RRT][ODT][Display]
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dara

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 5:00 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
FTColorist wrote:Hi everyone.

Superior respect to what? is the real question.

ACES can hold all the other color spaces and is in linear light or scene referred. is supposed to represent the scene, not the device that capture it.

Do I like it? Yes. As long as the transformations in and out are correct you can use it.

In the other end, if you only have one camera/display device you can work as usual with the help of a LUT. At the end of the day, Resolve (like any color corrector) will convert on the fly the result to your display through LUTs and internal math.

[Aces file]->[convert to LogACES]->[ your colour here]->[convert from LogAces]->[RRT][ODT][Display]

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the advice but what is this "[RRT][ODT]"?. And alway nice to see the folks at FotoKem helping out!

Best Regard,

-Dara

Steve MacMillan

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 8:06 am

what is this "[RRT][ODT]

RRT = Reference Rendering Transform
ODT = Output Device Transform

Images in the ACES linear colorspace cannot be viewed directly without a transform to make them suitable for a broadcast monitor (Rec709) or projector (P3). The RRT is a general look loosely based on a film emulation that works hand in hand with the ODT to produce a pleasing Rec709 or P3 output. The idea is that by itself it is a look that has decent contrast, saturation, and color balance but doesn't limit the grading that can be done earlier in the LMT (look modification transform).
Resolve Lite 10.1.4
MacPro 5,1 2.66Ghz, 48GB, OSX 10.8.5
GUI Nvidia Q4000, GPU Nvidia GTX680, Decklink 3D+

Juan Salvo

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 am

Steve MacMillan wrote:
what is this "[RRT][ODT]

RRT = Reference Rendering Transform
ODT = Output Device Transform

Images in the ACES linear colorspace cannot be viewed directly without a transform to make them suitable for a broadcast monitor (Rec709) or projector (P3). The RRT is a general look loosely based on a film emulation that works hand in hand with the ODT to produce a pleasing Rec709 or P3 output. The idea is that by itself it is a look that has decent contrast, saturation, and color balance but doesn't limit the grading that can be done earlier in the LMT (look modification transform).

The RRT portion is IMO the biggest "issue" with ACES. Luckily it is being worked on and the newer versions have a much more neutral RRT available.

Once the standard gets ironed out, and we start to see tools and cameras built around it, we will begin to see it's true potential. Until then it's very much a beta.

Return to Post Production