Roundtrip from Resolve to Avid back to Resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Warmland

Roundtrip from Resolve to Avid back to Resolve

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Hey there,

So I've been using a roundtrip method with Resolve Lite. My workflow is as follows:

Add media files to media library, manually add timecode to the video metadata from the slate, sync audio, export DNxHD 36 MXFs for the offline edit. Edit in AVID, export EDL, conform back in Resolve for colour. So far this workflow has been great, but I recently ran into a problem. I've got a bunch of interview footage taken from three different cameras: The Sony F3 (recorded to ProRes through Ninja external recorder) and 5D and 7D footage. In Resolve I manually added the timecode before making my MXFs. The problem is when I export my EDL and try to conform in Resolve, all of the edits are there at the appropriate time code, but it only connects to my A-Cam footage, in this case the F3 footage. I can go to every edit, highlight the clip in media browser and force conform it to the media folder, but this is obviously not ideal. I have looked at the EDL and it is referencing the correct clips and timecode values, but the conform is still just referencing the A-Cam footage. I can't figure out why this would be happening. All of the clips are clearly labeled with this naming convention: A_1-1, B_1-1, etc. Camera_Scene-Take. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Michael Phillips

Re: Roundtrip from Resolve to Avid back to Resolve

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 pm

What is the REEL set to on your camera originals and what Avid thinks they are in the EDL?

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Radman

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 am

There are certain symbols Avid just don't like.
Find out more. There your problem may be.
Radman.

Warmland

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 am

MichaelP wrote:What is the REEL set to on your camera originals and what Avid thinks they are in the EDL?

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael,

The REEL NO column in the Media Pool is empty in Resolve. I tried giving each camera it's own 'Reel Number' in the metadata A-Cam = 1, B-Cam = 2, etc, but the Reelo No column in the media pool is empty. I also applied those same numbers to the Camroll Column in my AVID bins. No luck. Since I created MXFs in Resolve I just dropped the msmMMOB.mdb file into my bins to populate them. AVID is labeling each clip under the Tape column as msmMMOB.MDB.##. From what I have read what Resolve labels as Reel, AVID labels as Tape or Tape ID or Camroll (I've read they are interchangeable.

Radman, are you suggesting because my clip names have underscores or dashes, AVID creates the EDL improperly to work with Resolve?

Radman

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm

It's really worth looking at.
Consoladate one file as a Test and see. You might be surprised.
Avid publishes a no/no somewhere on this topic.

Cheers, Radman.

Michael Phillips

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 pm

That's because the initial dailies were done incorrectly. I am seeing more and more of this exact issue on forums. When creating dailies - make sure REEL is defined before making them. I see videos on workflow where they just point to the folder and go straight to the deliver tab. Yikes! I would ask whomever if there is a column anywhere in the bin that has something that looks like a filename or REEL and you create an EDL using that as source.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Warmland

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for the advice guys. For this project I just pointed to the other shots manually and force conformed them. I have some other projects in post with no REEL specified but luckily those are one camera shoots so its not really an issue issue. For all projects going forward, multi-camera or not I will be sure to specify the REEL field while creating the dailies!

Thanks again.!

Return to Post Production