HDR Grading on LG OLED TV C8

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

andygrabo

HDR Grading on LG OLED TV C8

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:06 am

Hi everyone,

I'd like to use my Laptop (Razer Blade 15) to grade my projects in HDR on my LG OLED C8 (I know not the best thing in the world, but I can afford a HDR monitor at the moment).

What Monitorcard can I use? Will the UltraStudio Mini Monitor work? Or the Intensity Shuttle (or both?).
I can't seem to find that information.

Thanks!

(BTW: The laptop has both HDMI and Displayport as well as Thunderbolt)

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: HDR Grading on LG OLED TV C8

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 am

MiniMonitor has Thunderbolt2- your laptop doesn't have it.
You need either TB3 device or USB3 (those are less common now and sometime have problems).
If you have TB3 then you can use:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-DLUS-10

All mentioned models are HD only.
Resolve doesn't allow full screen preview from GPU (yet). You can use it this way but it will be video+some GUI elements and also it may not be color accurate.
Whatever you do you should try to calibrate your TV. Those LGs are not that bad.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 am

The C8 is not good enough to handle HDR grading, for a lot of reasons. Note that Amazon, Apple, Dolby, Hulu, and Netflix are not going to sign off on an HDR grade made on a $2000 consumer monitor. Netflix specifically cites the Sony BVMs and the FSI XM Mastering displays for their project.

I think many people are in agreement that the C8's (and the newer C9's) are fine for SDR if they're carefully calibrated.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JPOwens

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Netflix can require a monitor type and a calibration plot for that monitor as part of their deliverable.

jPO, CSI

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 am

If you are not part of bigger contract you won't be delivering to Netflix directly (basically never).
Not sure why so many quote Netflix as some delivery "reference". They are quite strict, but there is not that much content going there if you look at world wide overall production.

If someone is buying 2K TV as reference one does he expect to produce content for Netflix (not delivery part but actual post-production)?
You guys jump from an amateur setup to top-end ones over short 1 post (and pretty much every time such a question is asked) :D World does not end on Netflix. Well it doesn't not end on Netflix for 90-95% small places, so for majority basically.

JPOwens

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you are not part of bigger contract you won't be delivering to Netflix

That's generally true, and agreed it is somewhat presumptuous to jump to the last requirement on the list.

There is a way to grade in simulated HDR if you don't have an extended dynamic range monitor, and that is to dive into your project settings and sort out the appropriate Resolve Color Management regime for your situation.

If you don't have an HDR display, at least you will get a sense for how your final image will appear on Fred and Marge's TV set. And eventually their mobile device.

jPo, CSI

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 pm

There is a big problem with this approach. Pure math conversion without tone mapping is useless. When you do add tone mapping then about every solution out there is based on own "engine" and looks different than other.

Jsowell

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 6:02 pm

shooting home movie style on a pocket 4k I am not concerned about shooting for netflix my main concern is that when i deliver something to youtube or vimeo in hdr that it looks the way i shot it on my computer driving my tv and on my tv by itself.
I have been able to get this using a Samsung q7fn on windows 10 with a gtx1080ti running ycbcr422 10 bit to the tv . calibrated the tv with displaycal, used the profiling method for resolve with an external monitor more or less not the gui one and then placed the lut in 3d video monitor lookup not 3d color viewer as was recommended in gui setup. everything seems to be playing pretty nice i dont get the terrible banding like when i tried to set the lut through the color viewer.
is there anything i can change or that im missing that's vital ?
I would consider a decklink or a monitor if i could get something in the future that was suitable for hdr in the consumer/prosumer level would prefer to use something like the shogun 7 if possible to refer against my tv.
i know windows wont play nice with all the desktop icons etc but everything seems ok in the monitor preview with the lut applied
Resolve Studio 18.5|
intel 10900k | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM | GTX 4090 24 gigs ram | | Decklink 4k extreme 12g

Marc Wielage

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 am

Jsowell wrote:shooting home movie style on a pocket 4k I am not concerned about shooting for netflix my main concern is that when i deliver something to youtube or vimeo in hdr that it looks the way i shot it on my computer driving my tv and on my tv by itself.

In that case, my advice is to forget about HDR and just color grade it for Rec709. That alone is hard enough to do, particularly on the net.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production