Hardware for 10 bit pro grading - please help!

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

michael_72

Hardware for 10 bit pro grading - please help!

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 6:57 pm

I am just about to build a pc workstation dedicated to editing and color grading of 4K video. My own files come from the BMPCC4K (Braw), DLOG from Mavic 2 Pro and VLOG from GH5, but I want to be able to color grade all formats. I want to be able to run Davinci and the Adobe suite like a breeze no matter what I throw at it and monitor it all in 10 bit. I am going to spend a lot of money on a 10 bit grading monitor from Eizo connected to a Decklink 4K card, and after that my budget for a complete pc from scratch is approximately $7000.

There is a lot of brand new hardware with amazing specs, but what do you guys recommend as optimal GPU and CPU right now, when it comes to graphics work?

On the motherboard front: The new AMD AM4 X570 Chipset with support for PCI Express 4 (which doubles the data rates of PCI Express 3.0), is that a good purchase right now to futureproof my rig...? Or are there downsides or compatibility issues...?

I will of course get the fastest SSD:s and RAM, but aside from that: what are your recommendations when it comes to motherboard, CPU and GPU...? The components have to be able to deliver a 10 bit signal in every turn.

Thanks a million in advance!
Michael Nilsson, Sweden
MacBook Pro Max M2
RAM: 96 GB
HD: Internal SSD 4TB
I/O-card: UltraStudio Monitor 3G
Monitor 1 (GUI): Apple Studio Display
Monitor 2 (REF): Eizo Coloredge CG319x
NLE: Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1

MishaEngel

Re: Hardware for 10 bit pro grading - please help!

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 am

This https://www.anandtech.com/show/14545/asus-mini-led-professional-monitors-update-available-this-year might be a better monitor for less than an EIZO.

For 10 bits you need a decklink card. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink, just pick on that fits your needs.

When you only want 1 GPU the Ryzen 9 is a good option (R9-3950x will be released on september 7 for $749). When you use this computer mainly for Davinci Resolve and you don't need CUDA, the fastest GPU is the Radeon VII (EoL because it was to expensive to produce, selling price is around $ 700, you have to be fast when you still want one), this card is also superfast in blender.

With your workflow this https://www.anandtech.com/show/14657/the-asus-pro-ws-x570ace-motherboard-review looks to be the best MB (you can even use 2 GPU in it without compromissing the rest of the system).

With Resolve only, 32 GB is enough, when you want to use a lot of fusion the more the better (max 4x32GByte).

Add 4x 14TB HDD(Seagate IronWolf 14TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST14000VN0008 ) in RAID 10 for fast and secure storage (25.4 TB effective fast and pretty secure storage).

michael_72

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks Misha!

The Eizo ColorEdge CG319X has a self calibration function that attracted me alot, I don't think the Asus one has that...? I can also get the Eizo at almost half the price now, so I am very compelled to get it...

I hoped to be able to use the monitor for photography color grading as well, is it possible to somehow hook it up to the graphics card for that purpose as well even if it is connected to the Decklink, and alternate between the two tasks...?

Best regards, Michael, Sweden...
MacBook Pro Max M2

MishaEngel

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Yes, just look for yourself https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-25

Software Applications

DaVinci Resolve
Fusion
Final Cut Pro X
Adobe Premiere Pro CC
Avid Media Composer
Adobe After Effects CC
Avid Pro Tools
Steinberg Cubase
Autodesk Smoke
Adobe Photoshop CC

Other supported applications include: The Foundry Nuke, Grass Valley Edius, Steinberg Nuendo, Sony Catalyst Production Suite, Tools On Air Just: Play & Live & In, Softron MovieRecorder & MReplay, Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, Telestream Wirecast, Livestream Producer, Resolume Arena, Magix Vegas Pro & Movie Edit Pro Premium, Corel VideoStudio Pro, CyberLink PowerDirector, Vidblaster X & Studio & Broadcast, Uniplay One & CG, CasparCG Server, Magicsoft CG, Xsplit Broadcaster, Imagine Communications Velocity & InfoCaster, DevTek Easy Media Suite, Metus Ingest, Boinx Software MimoLive, Cinegy Capture Pro, vMix Live, Renewed Vision ProPresenter, Ventuz Director, Class X Liveboard & Coral CG, Glookast Capturer, Open Broadcaster Software Studio, Nautilus NEMO3D, Derivative TouchDesigner, Assimilate Scratch, Burst Video WebClip2Go & [REC]Marker.

bjornzitting

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Hej Michael and Misha

I think there is a misunderstanding here, using 'photography grading as well', not necessarily via BMD hardware

I have an Eizo 4k monitor with two HDMI inputs and two Display port inputs, just like the CG319X
To the right of it I have an Imac 5k with Display port connection which give Adobe Lightroom a second screen 4k which I believe touch one of your questions
The IMac only has Thunderbolt 2 so a UltraStudio Mini Monitor with HDMI out is connected to a cheap HDMI 'splitter' feeding both the Eizo and a Samsung 1080p TV with 1080p signal, this gives Resolve a proper monitor (depending of course on calibration etc) and a big TV to check geometry/stabilisation/end result etc

To the left of the Eizo is a powerful Linux machine, AMD Threadripper, Nvidia GPU and a BMD Decklink 4k card feeding the same 'splitter' with HDMI 1080P
I also tested (of course :) feeding the other Displayport on the Eizo with a feed from the Linux Nvidia, sure it works but not needed

Anyway, a monitor with several inputs of course can have several connections to same or other machines - but normally only select one

My answer doesn't touch 10-bit and my choice has been monitor video in 1080p, the 24" Eiizo is to small to view 4k 'in my view' :)
This hopefully gives you some guidance
Björn

tristansummers

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am

So
I have a 318K and 2x 1070Ti
the latest studio drivers allow you in Nvidia Control Pane;/Display/Resolution/3.Apply the following settings / Use Nvidia colour settings / Output colour depth / 10 bpc.
This is new for GeForce as quadro only did it before
NOW
I have not tried recalibrating this and don't trust it to ba accurate at all.
Most apps do not run 10 bit in the GUI but Photoshop should so this is all I would use it for.
Whatever you do I would make sure you have an i1Pro and LightIllusion to calibrate it.
Otherwise you need a decklink/ultrastudio and correct settings
Not sure how you verify this fully.
My 318 only has HDMI 1.4 so if I can get 10 bit to it, I think it will be 24p only, maybe 25p and 30p but not 60p or above and that still rrequires new certfied hdmi cables to work
Other than that nothing else should impact you I think.
Assimilate assure me they bypass the OS on their second monitor out so maybe look at Scratch as well.
If you need RGB and 444 and HDR then make sure the IO device supports it.
I think the 4k minimonitor does HDR static metadata over HDMI only and only works at 422 for instance, so check what you need, or just get the 4k Extreme HDMI 2.0 just in case!
but the easiest way to get 10bit 422 at HD is the mini monitor

michael_72

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 10:48 am

Thank You!

Do You happen to know which is the very best CPU, now released, for Davinci...? I have ordered Ryzen 9, but now I hear AMD will hold it back till november...
MacBook Pro Max M2

Return to Post Production