[request]blank Fusion comps

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sander de Regt

[request]blank Fusion comps

PostFri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi,

Since - I think it was Peter - indicated that they'd love Fusion for Resolve to evolve in such a way that VFX artists would enjoy or even prefer working inside of Resolve instead of standalone Fusion, I'll chime in with some observations from time to time. Here's a biggie:

Please make it possible to create Fusion comps from scratch and with a duration that can be changed from within the Fusion page.

Especially when creating templates for lower 3rds or cool particle effects etc it should be possible to start from scratch. Just an empty canvas to work with, without being bound to a timeline.
It's similar in that sense to a 3D package. Noone starts out in 3D max with a BG image when creating.
This shouldn't be a requirement for the Fusion page either.

I'm sure the Resolve database could handle saving the result of this TO the mediapool instead of forcing it to the timeline.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

julian_b

Re: [request]blank Fusion comps

PostFri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm

That's also something I definitely need.
When I use Fusion, I usually start from scratch.
I rarely start with actual video footage. I would create the lower third first and then add my video to it.
And that's the way I would like to work in Resolve.
And I'm sure it's something that will come with time.
But still, here's my suggestion:

Creating a new comp:

Menu:
Fusion -> New Composition

Settings Dialog (for resolution, framerate, length):
Radio Buttons:
[x] Same as current Project
[ ] Same as current Timeline
[ ] Same as timeline [combo box to choose from all timelines in the current project]
[ ] Preset [combo box to choose from user defined presets]
Resolution:____
Framerate:____
Length:_____
[ ] Custom
Resolution:____
Framerate:____
Length:_____
[Save As Preset] [Ok] [Cancel]

Rendering the finished comp:
Saver: Same as in Fusion Standalone: Save to disk
With an extra check box to automatically re-import the footage into the media pool:
O Re-Import into media pool
TextField: [Enter media name]

Bryan Ray

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Agreed!

I frequently like to start with a blank canvas when I'm doing TD work—building tools or scripting pipeline. Unless I'm doing something that will actually interact with the Timeline, there's no reason for me to even have one active when I'm doing work of that sort.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Hartmut Kuhse

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:32 pm

But what for are you wanting it? The saver node is missing so without an object in the timeline, fusion will do nothing. Put a fusion title in the timeline on the most upper track, change to fusion and replace the title node with a transparent background.

Hartmut
Win 10 x64 (1803), i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide

Bryan Ray

PostFri May 18, 2018 5:41 pm

You don't think that adding something to a Timeline, then immediately deleting it points to a workflow issue? It's a workaround, and every workaround is an indicator of a place where the software can improve.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Andrew Hazelden

PostSun May 20, 2018 11:24 am

Hartmut Kuhse wrote:But what for are you wanting it? The saver node is missing so without an object in the timeline, fusion will do nothing.

Hi Hartmut.

There are many professional use cases where the Fusion page could be useful in Resolve and you don't need a Saver or MediaOut node to be productive for those tasks:

If you are designing a new Resolve Edit/Fusion page "Template" for use in the Effects Library, the actual macro .setting file you are making can't hold a working MediaIn/MediaOut node so you shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline to do this template creation or editing task.

If you want to use the Fusion "Macro Editor" window you don't need access to a MediaOut node either since you are editing the contents of a .setting file on disk and are simply adjusting parameters.

Fusion Macro Editor.png
Fusion Macro Editor
Fusion Macro Editor.png (107.75 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

You shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline to be able to use the Resolve File > Import Fusion Composition... menu item. This feature allows you to access a .comp file exported from Fusion Standalone or from another Resolve project. (Also, the imported .comp file should ideally bring in all of the external media and create a new un-attached Fusion composite from scratch in the Media Pool.)

Resolve Import Fusion Composite.png
Importing a Fusion .comp file into Resolve
Resolve Import Fusion Composite.png (65.2 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

MediaIn nodes in an imported comp file have a CustomData tag on the node that reveals all of the required metadata information about the footage that would allow this automatic media importing phase to happen successfully:

Code: Select all
CustomData = {
   MediaProps = {
      MEDIA_NUM_LAYERS = 0,
      MEDIA_NAME = "cam6_[0000001-0000450].dpx",
      MEDIA_HEIGHT = 2048,
      MEDIA_PATH = "/Volumes/Production/VFX/15sec_rooftop_OZO_dpx_frames/dpx/cam6_[0000001-0000450].dpx",
      MEDIA_START_FRAME = 0,
      MEDIA_SRC_FRAME_RATE = 24,
      MEDIA_MARK_OUT = 449,
      MEDIA_WIDTH = 2048,
      MEDIA_NUM_FRAMES = 450,
      MEDIA_MARK_IN = 0,
      MEDIA_PAR = 1
   }
},

You shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline with placeholder footage (to set the Fusion composite duration) if you simply want to import FBX or Alembic geometry into the Fusion page and use Fusion's 3D system to create motion graphics. Fusion's powerful 3D system allows you to create procedural geometry and write the new animated meshes to disk using the "FBX Exporter" node. You don't need a MediaOut node at all if your goal is to save out particles or animated polygon meshes to disk from inside the Fusion 3D system.

You shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline if you are doing the setup for VFX based work in Resolve 15. For example if you are using the Fusion page for scene integration work your job task for a week might be something likes this:

• Import external camera tracking data from an FBX/Alembic/Maya ASCII scene file
  • Load in external point clouds
  • Load in external meshes
  • Create and place Shape3D node based standin geometry for catching shadows and environmental reflections
  • Create 3D lights to match the illumination from the real world scene in the footage
  • Assess the quality of a track and align your geometry and lights to the camera3D node so the meshes aren't drifting away from the reference point clouds
  • Use Fusion's 3D text tools, or custom macros to add graphic elements to the tracked scene.

You shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline to be able to access the new Fusion > Script menu features. The scripting system allows artists to run Lua/Python automation scripts that can do tasks like Resolve .drp project importing/exporting, Media Pool file management, displaying Resolve native "UI Manager" based scripted user interfaces, or run external pipeline tools.

Resolve Fusion Script Menu.png
Fusion > Script Menu
Resolve Fusion Script Menu.png (45.66 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

If you are using the new Resolve scripting API, it seems foolish to require the user to manually create a throw-away Resolve timeline *first* with a placeholder clip, before the Fusion page Fusion > Script menu item is unlocked. Only inside of the Fusion page environment is a user allowed to run a Lua/Python script that would load in the real footage into Resolve's Media Pool from an external source, and then build a timeline from that new media. To me it seems like a circular reference having to make a fake timeline before your studio's own asset management scripts could build the real timelines for your editors with your *actual* footage loaded in automatically...

You shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline if you wanted to use the Fusion page's VR tools to connect to an HMD (head mounted display) and work with the Fusion 3D workspace in real-time.

The Fusion page in Resolve supports the use of the integrated EXRIO library that allows custom fuse modules to read/write EXR images from disk. This allows for VFX centric workflows to be done in Resolve without using a MediaIn/MediaOut node to access the production footage. A use-case for this is if you are assembling and editing a full commercial in Resolve you might want to load in multi-channel EXR footage coming from a CG rendering package for something like a 3D rendered package shot. Multi-channel EXR images make it possible to instantly mask any element in the image automatically with a Cryptomatte fuse in Fusion but you can only do this using EXRIO approaches to import the media into the comp since a MediaIn node is unable to access the extra EXR image channel data and metadata information.

And finally you shouldn't have to create a dummy Resolve timeline if you wanted to use the upcoming and soon to be released We Suck Less community created "Reactor for Resolve" package manager toolset to download and add new 3rd party tools, Resolve title templates, macros, fuses, scripts, LUTs, and assets to your copy of Resolve 15.

I could think of dozens of other uses cases a professional user might want besides these ones.

The creation of Resolve 15, and the integration of Fusion into the toolset has redefined what is possible inside of a video editing/color correction package. Since 90% of Fusion Standalone's features are now accessible inside of Resolve Studio 15 it feels like a natural evolution of this hybrid editing/content creation environment to allow for more advanced workflows to occur.

What benefit is there for BMD to take one of the most flexible and customizable node based compositing systems out there and turn it it into a rigid and non-customizable toolset that can't adapt itself to respond to the artist's needs?

The Fusion page and its associated Lua/Python scripting layer, plus the macro and fuse nodes have a ton of potential to take the creative process further in Resolve 15 then most people can imagine on the surface. That untapped potential shouldn't be clipped before the product has even left the gate.

I'd like to close this post off by pointing out that BMD has held off commenting or clarifying publicly their commitment for ongoing new Fusion Studio development efforts *after* the Resolve 15 beta cycle is complete. :roll:

The BMD forum posts from BMD support staff like Joshua Helling don't clarify where things are headed. And Resolve's product manager has also declined to set the record straight on where things are headed for Fusion Standalone as well which I personally find frustrating and disappointing to say the least. :(

If it turned out that a Fusion Studio 10+ release was not going to happen at SIGGRAPH 2018 or in the future at all, then I'd sure as heck like to know that the Resolve 15 Fusion page was every bit as capable, useful, and functional as the Fusion Standalone edition is now.

This lack of clarity on Fusion Standalone's fate going forward is why you will see a lot of longtime Fusion users like Chad Capeland, Bryan Ray, Theodor Groeneboom, Michael Vorberg, Miltos Pilalitos, Alan Bovine, and Sander de Regt having a regular presence in the BMD Resolve 15 beta and Fusion forums trying to provide constructive feedback on the inefficiencies in the current Resolve beta releases. They are all highly skilled artists who use Fusion daily.

It is in every Fusion Studio user's best interests to have the Fusion page be as fully functional for VFX workflows as it can possibly be since the final fate of a tool that people rely on professionally for their careers and income is effectively undefined.

The fact BMD allowed a single direction license migration of a Fusion Studio dongle unlocking a full copy of Resolve Studio 15, but it doesn't work for customers the other way around says heaps to me about where things are potentially going in the absence of clear communication from BMD's product management and PR staff after NAB 2018... :?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Hartmut Kuhse

PostSun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Your post convinced me.
So I accept and support the request for a blank Fusion page.

Hartmut
Win 10 x64 (1803), i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide

Jean Claude

PostSun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm

hi,

Except that for the moment (Windows OS) the import of a loader and a saver coming from Fusion Standalone in Davinci Resolve Fusion does not work.

Someone tried?

Fu_Comp_Import_loader.jpg

Fu_Comp_Import_saver.jpg

Thank's
(Even with the Fusion Studio 9.0.2 version)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Andrew Hazelden

PostSun May 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Jean Claude wrote:hi,

Except that for the moment (Windows OS) the import of a loader and a saver coming from Fusion Standalone in Davinci Resolve Fusion does not work.

Someone tried?

Hi Jean Claude.

There was a post last month about Resolve's handling of Loader nodes on the Steakunderwater website:

Resolve Dummy Node Lister Script
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewtopic.php?p=16050#p16050

With the new Lua and Python scripting support in the Resolve 15 API it would be possible to write a script that would automatically convert the inactive Loader nodes brought over from Fusion Studio comps into Resolve friendly MediaIn nodes that would instead access the same footage using the Media Pool interface.

The reason 3rd party Fusion based TD's haven't spent the time to go all the way and implement this MediaIn <> Loader node translation approach is that ideally it should be built natively into Resolve 15's Fusion page composite import and export features since everyone using Fusion Standalone side by side with Resolve would need the same basic functionality. :idea:

Also, if a 3rd party scripted tool did this Loader node "dummy" node type translation approach then only Resolve Studio users would be able to run this tool. Resolve (Free) users can't access the Resolve 15 scripting API which is the only way to programmatically add new footage to the Media Pool.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Jean Claude

PostMon May 21, 2018 8:19 am

Andrew

Thank you. Very interesting.
I will test as soon as possible.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dustin Bowser

PostSun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm

The integration of Fusion into Resolve has turned Resolve basically into a Flame. I'm sure the Autodesk guys are really sweating this knowing what the price point of Flame is versus Resolve.

I use Flame as well and it has a similar kind of a setup to Resolve where you create a clip that then becomes workspace for VFX, BUT the way they handle the ability to create a VFX shot from scratch is that there is a way to enter the Batch environment (their term for the node based compositing UI) and in there you are able to create VFX of any duration and any resolution, and you use the equivalent of a Saver node (something we really want back from Fusion) to be able to publish the VFX shot to a clip into the media pool.

Flame is already production proven in the workflow department as an editorial, VFX and finishing workspace. No need to reinvent the wheel here, just see what they are doing and then improve from there.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Autodesk office when they found out Fusion is in Resolve now. I know Flame is much cheaper than it used to be, but the price point is still laughably high compared to other systems. As soon as Resolve gets a bit more stable and the kinks are worked out, they are going to have a serious run for their money to keep people from moving all of their finishing stations to Resolve.

God bless innovative competition.
System specs:
Fusion Studio version: 16.2 Build 22
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core 3.80 GHz
RAM: 128GB DDR4-3000
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti 11GB x4
Nvidia Driver: 442.19

Massimo Moneta

PostTue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Hi,

Please make it possible to create Fusion comps from scratch and with a duration that can be changed from within the Fusion page.

I totally agree, we need may be in Generators, a "Blank Fusion Comp" !!
Massimo Moneta
VFX supervisor

INSERTCOIN
www.insertcoin.tv

Windows 11 on Lenovo ThinkStation 640
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 32-Cores 3.50 GHz
128 gb ram
RTX 3080
Fusion user since 1999 (version 2.5)

Return to DaVinci Resolve