16.2 Can't Relink to C300mk1 MXF media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

16.2 Can't Relink to C300mk1 MXF media

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Literally yesterday this worked, today its not. I may of been playing media off network attached volume when I relinked the media yesterday, but AFAIK I was not.

With entire project on local raid 0, the project oddly showed offline. Ok, started to try to reconfirm using media option. A few clips connected up, most did not even though I was pointed at main folder of project on local HD.

Ok, a few tedious relinks of clips later, navigating to local files, it failed a few times but doing the "extensive search <YES>" dialog got most of the clips online - mov, wav.

The canon C300 mk1 uses that horrible MXF folder/file structure which AFAIK is ok. Resolve refuses to relink the media back either as a group or even Individual clips when I navigate to the actual MXF folder holding the clip.

Other times pointing R at the MXF folder, it'll sit there until I cancel it - a good 30 secs for 50 clips or so, or in a short case of 14 its still saying not found.

The finding Matching Media mode doesn't appear to be accessing the local drive - not drive activity . maybe its trying too use the old path rather than the new local one.

Looking at bin again, clips -> their new path, the clips ARE looking at the correct path to link back to their media files, but aren't. its bizarre

I can reimport the camera MXF in media panel ok, see and play the files ok.

when I do navigate to the actual MXF folder holding the media clip the MXF media file is grayed out so I can't even relink a single clip manually.

yet a few clips have relinked some how.

I've played with any number of relink options on, off, loose file name, etc with no luck.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Chris Roberts1

Re: 16.2 Can't Relink to C300mk1 MXF media

PostSun May 03, 2020 10:33 am

Hi Steve

Just adding a +1 to this as I had what I believe to be the same issue this week.

I was creating an archive of a doco I'd been working on. When I went to verify the archive, a number of video files weren't linked and could not be found within the archive.

Tracking this down took some time as the project has footage from all sorts of cameras, but it seems to be related to footage shot on a Canon camera(s) using the CARD>CONTENTS>CLIPS001>*CLIP*XXXX folder structure.

Looking at the original media, when imported into Resolve, the Clip Names (and File Names) are the same as the enclosing *CLIP*XXXX folder, but the media it actually links to is the MXF file within these folders which have the file name *CLIP*XXXX01.mxf (plus more if the clips are spanned across multiple files as I had a few of these).

Seems that when relinking, Resolves finds the enclosing folder but does not relink to the enclosed file(s). I have verified this by testing a new import from the same and other material.

My solution in this case was to go back to the original project and, using the media management window, to transcode these files into a self-contained ProRes.mov file, and relinking the clips to this new media. Creating the Archive now works fine.

Obviously it's not the same solution for you unfortunately, unless you have the option of re-adding the NAS. The only other thing I would suggest is to use the "Replace Selected Clip" option... but you may have to do that for each clip independently!!!!

Hope this helps though

Chris

steve oakley

PostSun May 03, 2020 9:05 pm

thanks. I eventually managed to get clips to relink. I considered processing the MXF Folder files via EditReady into MOV's and relinking to that like you would for proxies->camera originals. no idea if that would go smoothly or not. for now ok. some searching also reveals others with the same relink problems with C300mk1 MXFs so its been an on going bug that hasn't been fixed.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Harri Järvinen

PostSun May 17, 2020 6:47 pm

How did you manage to relink without transcoding and replacing the files ?

steve oakley wrote:thanks. I eventually managed to get clips to relink. I considered processing the MXF Folder files via EditReady into MOV's and relinking to that like you would for proxies->camera originals. no idea if that would go smoothly or not. for now ok. some searching also reveals others with the same relink problems with C300mk1 MXFs so its been an on going bug that hasn't been fixed.

S

steve oakley

PostSun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Harri Järvinen wrote:How did you manage to relink without transcoding and replacing the files ?

at this point I don't recall specifically :( . I know I messed around with direct relink to media w/o success. I think I reimported the media again.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Uli Plank

PostMon May 18, 2020 2:23 am

What happens if you just re-wrap the media into .MOV and work with that?
No quality loss.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

steve oakley

PostMon May 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Uli Plank wrote:What happens if you just re-wrap the media into .MOV and work with that?
No quality loss.

should work fine if TC, reel name match in the files. project is done and out so I probably don't want to spend the time on this. Pretty sure last time it will get touched as far as original edit & grade. Only a few legacy projects have any c300-1 MXF folder file media. I may have one somewhat current project to hunt down any but so far its been ok.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Thomas Blanchard

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am

Hi,

I had a similar problem, resolve not able to relink to clips (MXF, C300) from a project that I imported from a colleague who had cut on the same resolve version as i do. The solution: mark all clips in the media pool, right click: change source folder. The clips then immediately relinked!
Resolve Studio Monterey 18.0.1 build 3 Mac OS Montery 12.5.1 MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 32GB RAM

Harri Järvinen

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Thomas Blanchard wrote:Hi,

I had a similar problem, resolve not able to relink to clips (MXF, C300) from a project that I imported from a colleague who had cut on the same resolve version as i do. The solution: mark all clips in the media pool, right click: change source folder. The clips then immediately relinked!

Thanks alot for posting this! Super helpful for me as i was having this problem.
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

Return to DaVinci Resolve