Text Line Spacing changes depending on Proxy Mode.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Carlin

Text Line Spacing changes depending on Proxy Mode.

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm

1) Create Title Text. Set Line Spacing to -60.
2) Change Playback -> Proxy Mode to Full, Half or Quarter Resolution.

Notice that Line Spacing does not respect the proxy resolution settings.

Tom Masson

Re: Text Line Spacing changes depending on Proxy Mode.

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi, same pb here and it's annoying when you use lot's of text.
Any idea to solve this please in 2018? Settings or other?
thx

Eric Testroete

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm

I've got the same issue in 15. I think it happened in 14 as well...
DR Studio 16.1.1.005, Win10Pro 1909/18363.535 - i7-7700HQ@2.8GHz, 16GB RAM
GTX 1050 4GB, "Studio" driver 441.66
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe - Project: 1TB NVMe - Cache: 1TB NVMe

jerclarke

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Seeing the same behavior, which can also be triggered by changing "MASTER SETTINGS > TIMELINE RESOLUTION" in the project settings.

It seems that the line-height feature is totally resolution dependent, and actually tracks the pixels of line-height or something, rather than controlling by percentages.

Seems like this is NOT what anyone would expect. It makes it totally impossible to use this titles with line-height on any project where you're editing at a lower resolution.

Big bummer for me becuase my old MacBook needs the low res timeline to function, and the titles was the whole reason I started using Resolve instead of iMovie.

John Paines

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 pm

This is expected -- or, at any rate, long-standing --behavior with proxy mode, but it shouldn't be occurring with changes of timeline resolution, which does scale.

If it the titles are sizing incorrectly, check image scaling. You're probably monitoring at the wrong setting -- at the timeline resolution, rather than at the correct monitoring resolution.

jerclarke

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply! You are giving me some hope that I can use Resolve after all which would be my dream.

In order to get this to work at all, I have to use the Use opimized media if available setting and run Generate optimized media for each source clip, but I don't think that's what you mean by "proxy mode".

In Playback > Proxy Mode menu of this test project it's set to Off. Is that enough to assert I'm not in proxy mode, and this stuff shouldn't be happening with the titles?

If it the titles are sizing incorrectly, check image scaling. You're probably monitoring at the wrong setting -- at the timeline resolution, rather than at the correct monitoring resolution.

I made a graphic with screenshots of the project settings I'm using that reproduce the error:

The settings I'm looking at are Master Settings > Timeline Format > Timeline Resolution and Master Settings > Video Monitoring > Video format

Whenever I change the Timeline Resolution the text line-height changes (in this case, squishing it together).

From your comment, I hoped that changing Video Format would have some impact on this, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to. Whether it matches the Tmeline resolution or not, the text squishes when I change the resolution.

I looked through all the project settings looking for something else that could have an effect, and the only thing I found was Capture and Playback > Deck Settings > Video capture and playback. Unfortunately changing this didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Thanks so much if you have any advice or feedback. I'm hoping I'm being a dummy about something!

John Paines

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 pm

If Proxy mode is off, in the Playback drop-down menu, you shouldn't be seeing these oddities.

The settings I was talking about are in project preferences, under "output scaling", at the bottom:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (55.17 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

Note that "match timeline resolution" is unchecked, and everything is being monitored at 1080p (this might be different, in your case), regardless of what the timeline resolution is. You could probably get it to work with a combination of other scaling settings, but this is fairly simple.

With these settings, titles scale more or less identically at 1080p, 720p and 2160p. However, other characteristics may change -- the density of some of the formatting options, like stroke and shadow, which could conceivably could influence spacing as well. I'm not sure what the explanation for that is.

Best thing is probably to create the titles at the resolution you intend to deliver, then lower the resolution for the rest of the work. Any oddities which may appear at different or lower resolutions won't be permanent.

jerclarke

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Okay, thank you so much for taking the time to reply with that screenshot.

I tried every combination of settings in that Output Scaling box I could though, and whether it's set to match or not, or set to 1080 or 720 resolutions, switching the timeline always changes the spacing in the text.

I guess this is what you were saying, that the line-height spacing goes with the shadow sizes etc. in not being scaled. It seems to me it's absolute for some reason, even though as you point out, the text isn't. The text SIZE is always right and works just like I'd hope it would. The problem is that the line-height doesn't scale.

Seems like a bug to me, just something that hasn't come up much since most people don't work with huge blocks of text on screen.

> Best thing is probably to create the titles at the resolution you intend to deliver, then lower the resolution for the rest of the work. Any oddities which may appear at different or lower resolutions won't be permanent.

This is probably my only option for now. The thing is one of the genres I work in is the "facebook tiny documentary" format, where there's a lot of artful text on screen for people with audio turned off. (and in general I just like having lots of text on screen). In this case there's a significant amount of time I spend working on titles, and if the video is always choppy while I'm working on them, it's a really bad experience.

If only this one bug didn't exist, all my efforts to figure out the optimization tools in Resolve would be worth it :)

drummerguy

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 pm

So thankful for this post.
I just spent several hours trying to figure out when I went to render out, all my titles changed.

This is a HUGE flaw in working in proxy mode. I had to remake all of my titles in a 3rd party program and import them to Resolve.
I'm loving Resolve but this is a big problem.

Blackmagic, would love to see this "resolved"...see what i did there?? ;)

shadewind

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Is there any updates on this? It still occurs in Resolve 17 three years later :(

stevespeaking

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm running into this same issue in Resolve 18.1.3 build 8 on iMac running Monterey after importing a project from another editor using the same version of Resolve, same OS, and same iMac model. Image scaling settings match on both ends, as does proxy handling... literally all project settings. Neither of us are using external monitors yet this line spacing issue persists. Would be excellent to have a solution!
+++
Happy media making!

Return to DaVinci Resolve