Smart Cache Q

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dermot Shane

Smart Cache Q

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 pm

i turn on Smart Cache, and clips that are running properly, and not even close to stressing the machine are being cached

i see a clip with two OFX play with smart cache off useing 9% CPU/20% GPU / 2% Disk, runnign 23.98 trouble free, so i'm wondering why it see's these clips as needing to be cached?

i have around 20Tb free at the moment,so it's not an issue, more a general question about what triggers smart cache, and see if a better option is to node cache when i actualy need it?

John Paines

Re: Smart Cache Q

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm

The smart cache setting triggers caching on any "processor intensive" fx, without reference to the current system or its abilities. So it caches all raw clips, all clips with FX, heavy grades, etc., needed or not.

Your solution would be selecting the "user" option, and enabling caching only on clips which actually require it.

Dermot Shane

Re: Smart Cache Q

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

John Paines wrote:The smart cache setting triggers caching on any "processor intensive" fx, without reference to the current system or its abilities. So it caches all raw clips, all clips with FX, heavy grades, etc., needed or not.

Your solution would be selecting the "user" option, and enabling caching only on clips which actually require it.

yea, thought it was likely developed around v11, and even a well spec'd machine for v11 is well past it's sell by date in 2018, but the calculations on what needs cacheing remains in a v11 (dual 6c/GTX780?) timewarp ;-)

node cacheing workflow is a bit faster than the clip based caches for me, less mouse movement... would be nice to have one -or- either able to be mapped to a KB shortcut, so i can in turn map that to my surface / XKeys / StreamDeck

Smartcache seems like a good way to fill up an array, waste power and CPU/GPU cycles in any recent machine, but do little else

Return to DaVinci Resolve