Basic Things That Still Don't Work Right and a bonus fix!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AlexLTDLX

Basic Things That Still Don't Work Right and a bonus fix!

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Ok, BMD - there's still a few things that don't work right or are missing in the latest version (v 15.05); I don't know about other folks, but I'd like to see these addressed:

1. Putting an effect on a video layer affects the layers below it. For example - try to use a "blur dissolve" on a lower third on top of video and see what happens. I've mentioned this to the tech staff numerous times and it's still not working correctly.

2. No "fill left" or "fill right" functionality for stereo tracks. This is a pretty basic need for most people. You're pretty much stuck mixing out of phase audio or just screwed outright.

3. I see an audio compressor now, but there's no way to apply a soft clip - that should go hand in hand with any dynamics package.

4. The last two are a perfect segue to... The Fairlight panel. Just no. Most video editing audio needs are basic - ability to control which track is played out, a little compression, a little soft clip limiting, a little panning/EQ, maybe some keyframing. Resolve is missing some of the most basic audio functionality, yet the developers are foisting this largely useless (at least for the vast majority of video editors) panel of nonsense. Get the basics down first. Sure, reverb and delay are nice - I do use them on occasion, but do we really need (or use) a second panel for that?

5. Transparency, esp. in regards to graphics. When monitoring through a blackmagic card, edges are torn up royally. So far, my limited testing in 15 is showing better edges once the file is output, but why not show us what we're going to get? I'm assuming it handles PSDs better, but have yet to test.

And the bonus - because I called in to tech support, and they were no help. If you get the dreaded, "A newer version exists... please uninstall it first" error after you've already uninstalled, all you need to do is navigate in the registry (windows key + r and type "regedit") to "hkeylocal machine" the to "software" then to "Blackmagic Design/Davinci Resolve" then highlight "version" in the right hand panel and hit delete. Then you'll be able to install v 15.

Anybody else have anything to add to my list (or correct it)?

AlexLTDLX

Re: Basic Things That Still Don't Work Right and a bonus fix

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Another thing I'd like to add - the white balance dropper now causes a crash every time. At least on this trashy piece I'm working on now (cell phone video).

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

AlexLTDLX wrote:2. No "fill left" or "fill right" functionality for stereo tracks. This is a pretty basic need for most people. You're pretty much stuck mixing out of phase audio or just screwed outright.

You can set this per clip using Clip Attributes on the Media, Edit or Fairlight pages.

AlexLTDLX

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:
AlexLTDLX wrote:2. No "fill left" or "fill right" functionality for stereo tracks. This is a pretty basic need for most people. You're pretty much stuck mixing out of phase audio or just screwed outright.

You can set this per clip using Clip Attributes on the Media, Edit or Fairlight pages.

Except what if you have two people talking in a stereo track, and you only want one person's mic at a time? You'd have to change the clip attributes everytime you pull the next bite in - completely impractical; or in the case of a multicam clip, impossible.

Still need "fill left/fill right." Clip attributes isn't a fix.

AlexLTDLX

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm

I can think of several other reasons to have fill left/fill right functionality:

1. It limits the number of audio tracks you have to keep track of. Two mono tracks, plus a music bed, plus room tone, plus b roll cover nats, plus a VO, and pretty soon your audio track start running off the screen and moving pieces around becomes a problem.

2. Suppose you have a scene with a boom and a hidden lav with the talent walking (happens a lot). The lav is giving you the best audio (proximity), but in one or two places, the talent moves, causing his/her clothing to rub against the hidden mic, and you have to use the boom. Changing the clip attributes each time is impractical. And bringing in two mono tracks becomes cumbersome, because not only do you have more tracks, but it's a lot less efficient to have to unlink the tracks, and select and slide over an entire waveform just for a short bite.

3. Suppose you have narration recorded in the field on two different mics (also happens alot), and want to hear which mic works best in the mix. Toggling fill left/fill right is much more efficient and faster than have to manipulate two mono tracks, and muting or soloing could eliminate other elements you need to hear for comparison.

There's a reason most NLEs have a fill left/fill right feature as well as clip attributes.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

AlexLTDLX wrote:Except what if you have two people talking in a stereo track, and you only want one person's mic at a time? You'd have to change the clip attributes everytime you pull the next bite in - completely impractical; or in the case of a multicam clip, impossible.

Still need "fill left/fill right." Clip attributes isn't a fix.

I don't disagree, but to fix it in this case I would perhaps configure it as two mono tracks in Clip Attributes instead of a stereo track.

Dustin Bowser

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

+1 definitely agree we need a Fill Left and Fill Right.

The current workflow for stereo and mono audio is not flexible enough for the way editors need to use it.

@AlexLTDLX has described several cases where a Fill Left and Fill Right are necessary.
System specs:
Fusion Studio version: 16.2 Build 22
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core 3.80 GHz
RAM: 128GB DDR4-3000
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti 11GB x4
Nvidia Driver: 442.19

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 7:17 pm

AlexLTDLX wrote:Except what if you have two people talking in a stereo track, and you only want one person's mic at a time?

Even with Fill effects, this is best handled by splitting that stereo clip into two mono tracks, so it's a wash whether you apply a Fill to each side or set Clip Attributes for each side.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 pm

AlexLTDLX wrote:causing his/her clothing to rub against the hidden mic, and you have to use the boom. Changing the clip attributes each time is impractical.

How is that any different than applying an effect each time?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AlexLTDLX

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
AlexLTDLX wrote:Except what if you have two people talking in a stereo track, and you only want one person's mic at a time?

Even with Fill effects, this is best handled by splitting that stereo clip into two mono tracks, so it's a wash whether you apply a Fill to each side or set Clip Attributes for each side.
Jim Simon wrote:

AlexLTDLX wrote:causing his/her clothing to rub against the hidden mic, and you have to use the boom. Changing the clip attributes each time is impractical.

How is that any different than applying an effect each time?

I see the multiquote isn't working right here. So one at a time.

Response to Jim's first post:
Not even close. Let's use the multicam example - two people, two lavs, three cameras (two CUs and a wide). You've cut your multicam clip and have your mics recorded to one camera. So you've cut video and have one stereo audio track. It's easy to just hit "B," click where you want the cut, right click and select fill left or fill right and move on to the next one.

With two mono tracks, you have to hit, "B," click on both tracks, then slide the tracks to start and stop when you want them (or hit back space), then move on.

Your "solution" has twice as many tracks and is at least half to three times SLOWER than just having a fill left/fill right feature. It makes no sense to me.

Response to Jim's second post:
See above; not only that, most people will edit a piece together and then go and clean up the audio. Changing clip attributes EACH time you make an edit is impractical, destroys your sense of feel for the piece while you're working, and you're still screwed if you want to change it later. You'd have to find your in and out points (after doing a "find in media poll"), change the clip attributes and then bring it back in to the timeline.

That's so much more work that it makes it impractical.

Return to DaVinci Resolve