Installation of Davinci Resolve 16 on iMac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eoin Byrne

Installation of Davinci Resolve 16 on iMac

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am

Hi, I recently installed Davinci Resolve 16 on a macbook air with no problems. I then used the same link to try to install it on an iMac, I've tried several times but each time the imac shows the spinning colour wheel and odesn't do anything. The imac has no problems with speed or memory usually. Any ideas ?

all the best,

Eoin.

Kerry Garrison

Re: Installation of Davinci Resolve 16 on iMac

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Strange. I have it installed on two 2017 5k iMacs without any issue.
2022 MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64gb RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 2:36 am

For diagnosing Resolve related issues, you can provide us with a couple of important files. One is the Resolve CaptureLogs file, which will contain Resolve log information. Another is your Mac System Profile information in a .spx file, which will provide additional Mac specific log info, plus information on your specific hardware and driver versions.

For the CaptureLogs file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .zip file on your desktop. Run CaptureLogs after a Resolve crash, and before restarting Resolve.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

frederik

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Dear,
I have the same problem, after downloading and unzipping the disk image, the finder crashes completely when I open the disk image!

Resolve 16 beta 4 image for mac.

frederik

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I just found out: unzip the zipped installer with Keka.
Best regards,
Frederik

Wingis Struck

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Keka does not work for me. I can’t find a way to install the newer versions of DR.

Moxie91

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 1:46 pm

I am having same problem. I have been trying to install Davinci Resolve 16 on my iMac and it freezes every time. Please help! I need to edit .braw files
Thank you

UPDATE: I downloaded the 15.3 version instead- thanks

Gmarou

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Same problems nothing fix it.
History of event's:
Bought bmpcc 4k, and fill 4 64 gb SD cards with 12bit "braw" for a work.
Install the davinci studio 15 from the original SD card provided with the bmpcc 4k on a MacBook Pro mid 12. (THE CURSE STARDED :twisted: ) The same colour weel appeared for at least 1 hour. But finally came back to Life and installed.
Install the "braw" things needed because nothing appeared when I imported my files.
Guess what, nothing appeared when I imported the files after that either.
Download dv studio 16, and stuck with the colour weel for ever
Download dv 16 and stuck with the colour weel for ever
Download the latest dv 15 and stuck with the colour weel for ever
Download dv 16 from app store from Apple and worked but I couldn't see my files either. I assume that the broblem is on the disk image when the MacBook trying to generate the "fancy" BMD logo and the other things to looks like you insert a "CD-ROM" installer on a windows xp dinosaur.. it's funny but when the bmpcc and davinci resolve 16 first came out, I downloaded the free version of davinci resolve 16 in the same MacBook and worked just fine but not fine enough to leave fcpx so I uninstalled..

Blaccksmith Productions

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:For diagnosing Resolve related issues, you can provide us with a couple of important files. One is the Resolve CaptureLogs file, which will contain Resolve log information. Another is your Mac System Profile information in a .spx file, which will provide additional Mac specific log info, plus information on your specific hardware and driver versions.

For the CaptureLogs file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .zip file on your desktop. Run CaptureLogs after a Resolve crash, and before restarting Resolve.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

Hi has this issue been resolved as I to have had the same problem on 2013 Imac and late 2013 laptop both machines just get beach ball. Install ver 15 on Majovi no issues.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Generate a Mac System Report .spx file right after an installer fail, and provide that to us.
Dwaine Maggart

jogheeravi

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Generate a Mac System Report .spx file right after an installer fail, and provide that to us.

Dear Dwaine

I upgraded to Resolve 16.1 studio two days ago and since then resolve stopped working. I have iMac 2017 with 32 GB RAM. It was working with Studio 16 so for. I downgraded to studio 16, but the problem persists.

I generated the .SPX file. But I could not find the Capturelogs file in this path :/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. There is no such file at this location. Instead there are few Log files with different names.

And then, where do I send these files? To your support center?

Thanks
Ravi

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 am

Are you using the Apple App Store version of Resolve?
Dwaine Maggart

brunoticianelli

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 1:33 pm

I have the same issue, but I noticed something strange.

Here I have a 2013 mac and I already used DaVinci 15, when I reset my Mac and tried to install 16 version It didn't work out

I have a friend who also owns a a Mac (2017) and when we download the .dmg from the BlackMagic site the installation icon is the DaVinci logo.

Here when I open the dmg file from the same source the installation icon is a open yellow box, maybe something is missing to read the file properly to instal..

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:47 pm

When you open the dmg, and see the yellow box, WAIT. The Resolve logo will appear eventually. If you click the icon before the logo appears, the installer will fail. It may take up to a few minutes for the logo to appear.
Dwaine Maggart

highline

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 pm

I have the same issue, the installer from the BMD site crashes finder when trying to install on a 2018 MBP running Mojave. I waited for the yellow box to turn into the logo, but the pinwheel never stops spinning. The plain version from the Mac store installs no problem.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Are you saying the Resolve logo never appears on the installer? Did you give it several minutes?
Dwaine Maggart

highline

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 4:21 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Are you saying the Resolve logo never appears on the installer? Did you give it several minutes?

Correct, the logo never appears. I let it run for 30 minutes, same result, Resolve logo never appears over OS box logo (See attached pic).

Trying to get into Resolve, and can't.
Frustrating.

Thanks
Damon
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 7.43.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 7.43.19 PM.png (165.21 KiB) Viewed 9115 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 5:54 am

Please try installing 15.3.1 and see if it behaves any differently.
Dwaine Maggart

tsykhra

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 10:30 am

Try copy installer from mounted image to desktop via Terminal. It helped me to resolve ))

DjMexico

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm

I have de same problem, I don't could install Da Vinci in Mojave any version (15 or 16). tsykhra, how do you did that?

Zamino

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:31 am

I got a workaround for this problem:

As soon as I open the dmg the process called "iconserviceagent" raises in size till my ram is full. Then the finder crashes and everything stops.

To get davinci installed open the dmg and end the "iconserviceagent" as soon as it starts to fill your ram and BEFORE the finder crashes. Then the image opens and you can install the software.

ericurquhart

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 3:48 am

Hi There. Here we are over a year after the original post and I too am having this problem. I have tried 17 (beta) and 16.27
In both cases when I click on the downloaded .dmg it opens a finder window with the installer, uninstaller and a read me file. And I just get the spinny wheel. I can do nothing from this point. I need to force restart the finder or force quite the computer.
Has there been no solution to this yet?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 8:45 am

We couldn't reproduce the issue, and it seems to be an uncommon issue. So hard to devise a solution.

Can you send a Mac System Information .spx file for us to examine? You can PM it if you don't want to share it publicly.
Dwaine Maggart

SkyePN

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 am

Zamino wrote:I got a workaround for this problem:

As soon as I open the dmg the process called "iconserviceagent" raises in size till my ram is full. Then the finder crashes and everything stops.

To get davinci installed open the dmg and end the "iconserviceagent" as soon as it starts to fill your ram and BEFORE the finder crashes. Then the image opens and you can install the software.

Same problem, same solution. Force quite on "iconserviceagent" fixed the hang and then the background photo in the disk image appeared and I could continue.

Matej Kamenik

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

I am running a Macbook Pro 2012 with i5, 8 gigs of ram and 240 GB SSD and I had the same problem with installation and same solution worked for me. Just wait for a procces called "iconservicesagent" kill it and the installation went fine since that. My Mac runs on Mojave. This bug almost had me not install Davinci but I am glad I found a way!

It seems like it is a wide spread problem, maybe it would be fine to find some solution?

Cheers from Czech Republic! :-)

homerus

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 am

I have exactly the same problem!!
As soon as I doble click the DMG, the Finder crashes, with the pinwheel spinning. And I have to switch off manually. There must be some solution as this a common problem... Don't you think so? Thank you.

I never fully understand

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:28 am

Hello,
I'm having this exact same issue. I've just bought Davinci Resolve 17 Studio but cannot install it on my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave 10.14.6 (I can't go any further on this machine). When I open the dmg, I can only see the box icon which never changes into the Davinci icon, no matter how long I leave it. I've tried killing the iconservicesagent as below (which did help me to finally install the 16.2.8 version of the non-studio version) but this hasn't worked this time. I downloaded Keka, another possible solution suggested below, and that crashed (I notice someone else struggled with this). I know I have to have the icon (rather than the box) before I can proceed but Finder freezes and even relaunching Finder doesn't work, I have to manually turn off the computer. Has anyone got any other suggestions to help me please ?
Thanks, Stuart

I never fully understand

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:05 am

I'm still waiting for my first message to be approved but I've cracked it. It's the "iconservicesagent" tip above. I had to have the Activity Monitor already open, then react as quick as possible to kill (use Force Quit) iconservicesagent and then kill it a second time as soon as it reappeared, then, voila, the Davinci logo replaced the cardboard box icon and the installation proceeded without further problem. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.
Stuart

Return to DaVinci Resolve