Preference Bug in 16

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Preference Bug in 16

PostSat May 25, 2019 8:44 pm

Studio 16b3 for Windows has a bug in the User Preferences. In the Color section, Automatically cue X frames into timeline clips acts on the Deliver page. This preference should work only on the Color page. Functioning on the Deliver page makes it more difficult than necessary to move the playhead to clip boundaries.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tom Early

Re: Preference Bug in 16

PostSat May 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Given the intention of the preference, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Deliver page by design so this seems more like a feature request.

But there's no need to go to clip boundaries, just right click on the clip thumbnail and choose from the mark in/out/render this clip options.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Jim Simon

PostSun May 26, 2019 3:07 pm

I assume the intention of the Preference was to place the playhead x frames into a clip so you can bypass whatever transition might be there, thus showing only that clip on the Color page. This feature is only useful on the Color page. It's cumbersome everywhere else, where one wants to go to clip boundaries with shortcuts.

Do you have a different view of the feature's purpose?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tom Early

PostSun May 26, 2019 5:13 pm

The Unmix button is for ignoring transitions.

Regarding the Automatically Cue x frames feature, I refer you to the 15.3 manual, p96:

"This can be convenient if the source material has black or camera rollup flashes at the beginning of every clip while you’re trying to grade dailies."

Also works for skipping past idents on VFX shots, when grading on a master timeline or from unedited footage.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Jim Simon

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:42 pm

I don't disagree with anything the manual says. Perhaps I'm using the feature in a way that wasn't considered, or that simply wasn't included in the manual description.

But it's a feature that makes sense only on the Color page. Having it function on the Deliver page doesn't make sense, offers no benefit, and makes the process of setting In/Out points more difficult.

That's why I consider it a bug.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Curiously enough, 16b3 seems to be setting the playhead past any transition automatically on the Color page now, even with the Cue setting at 0 frames. I like that!

Means I can turn the feature off and get correct behavior on both Color and Deliver pages.

I'm happy. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve